Dan's Reviews > Gilead

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

Jan 14, 2009

Read in January, 2009

I've become more stingy about giving out 5 stars to a book. Gilead clearly earned 5 stars.

I've met some people who did not like this book at all. However, the writing style and inner-monologue/epistolary format of the book floored me. The author frequently made a pure connection with me, on many levels.

I didn't always enjoy the religious thoughts of the main character simply because I found some of the terminology and/or explanations he gave to be vague, circular, or without grounding.

The writing is poetic and often made me feel like I was bathed in a memory. If an author can do that, I doff my hat to them.

There was a passage in which the main character, a very old pastor at a church, is writing to his son and he notes some of the things he loves so very much, including watching the moon at night (which I love too.) After he writes the passage, he turns abruptly to the reality of his own mortality by exclaiming:

"Oh, how I will miss the world!"

That line still makes me shiver and smile at the same time. Kudos, Marilynne Robinson on writing a great book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gilead.

Terzah That line made me shiver too! I love Gilead. I am reading Home right now. I love her books because you have to slow down to read them. There's no multi-tasking or divided attention possible with Robinson.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan I'm glad someone else really liked that line. I've got to get a copy of 'Home.' And you're right: no divided attention. Reading Robinson requires the whole brain.

Melody It was nice to read your review to remind me of how much I enjoyed this book.

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Thank you, Melody. I appreciate it.