Paul's Reviews > The Weapon

Oct 08, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: thriller-suspense
Read from October 15, 2012 to May 29, 2013

Received this book, signed by the author, as a Goodreads promotion. It sat on my to-read shelf for months, but now I've finally read it. It is, as billed, an international thriller ... a fast read, filled with action, something you'd take along on a long flight.

Overall, I found the the weapon of the title less than believable. The heroine, Veronica Stone, is the only character with any depth; everyone else is a foil. The plot contained internal inconsistencies and non-sequiturs. Occasionally, as with the out-of-nowhere introduction of Veronica's equally beautiful and intelligent Harvard classmate Mary, deus ex machina interventions were required to keep the heroine one step ahead of death and destruction.

There probably should be more smart women protagonists in international thrillers, and why not beautiful smart women as well? Heather Hopkins is on to something here. I wish she didn't resort to Donald Trumpish codifications for wealth and power, though: over and over again, Veronica is described as a player in the world of CEOs, as if CEOs ... a pretty shallow and selfish lot IMHO ... are worthy of emulation.

But by golly, there is plenty of action, and the pages seemed to turn themselves.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weapon.

05/28/2013 marked as: currently-reading