Fangirl Musings's Reviews > Stroke of Midnight

Stroke of Midnight by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Jan 13, 2009

bookshelves: classified-novellas-or-many-couples, classified-series, genre-romance-paranormal, trope-angst-ridden, trope-at-odds-couple, trope-big-misunderstanding, trope-courtship-dance, trope-enemies-to-lovers, trope-hero-alpha, trope-hero-ethnic, trope-hero-ethnic-geek-roman, trope-hero-genius-or-cerebral, trope-hero-in-need-of-a-wife, trope-hero-in-pursuit, trope-hero-job-business-man, trope-hero-job-self-made, trope-hero-job-warrior, trope-hero-jealous-protective, trope-hero-rogue-or-rake, trope-hero-smitten-with-heroine, trope-heroine-hoyden-or-spirited, trope-heroine-on-the-run, trope-opposites-attract, trope-perfect-banter, trope-pnr-fated-to-be-mated, trope-pnr-gods-goddesses, trope-pnr-hero-beast-shifter, trope-pnr-hero-guardian-warrior, trope-pnr-hero-nonhuman, trope-pnr-hero-psychic, trope-pnr-hero-warlock, trope-pnr-heroine-beast-shifter, trope-pnr-heroine-human, trope-pnr-human-other-pairing, trope-pnr-nonhumans, trope-pnr-shifters, trope-siblings-or-family-within, classified-five-stars
Recommended to Fangirl Musings by: No one; but the series was recomended to me by a kind BAM sales
Recommended for: Everyone! The DH series kicks major butt!
Read 5 times. Last read November 4, 2013.

Winter Born by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Read: November 4th, 2013
Read: May 3rd, 2010
Read: March 2007
Read: April 2005
Read: February 1st, 2004

Short, simple, and sweet! Three adjectives that are entirely apropos for this Panther tale by Sherrilyn Kenyon! While the book is a collection of short stories, I am guilty of having only read Winter Born. Shocking, I know, but considering the fact that I bought this exclusively for Sherri's stories, I figure; go figure. Read all the other short stories in this collection you say? Pfft.

(Hehe.) One day, perhaps, but I'm happy because THIS STORY WINS! Winter Born, while short because, duh, short story, it is so damn good! Dante and Pandora are really compelling and interesting characters, and though their time on page is too little (I want a full-length story, damn it!) I loved them nonetheless. And, my jokingly complaining aside, I found their story did work epic-good for a short format. The plot is entirely emotionally driven, with only one fight scene that cinches the love story between our two leads.

It was basically that! But to a very controlled, well managed degree. The tension was short but understandable, what with Pandora's and Dante's personal hang-ups about their relationship, as well as the background tension noted by our heroine's experiences, but overall it's a quick read with really likable characters. If you don't complete the reading of this nice little fated-to-be-mated story feeling book-happy, well, then...

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stroke of Midnight.

Quotes Fangirl Musings Liked

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“It’s broke again, akri. The man downstairs done said that the Simi can’t charge nothing else until I’m not over my limit no more. I don’t know what that means, but I don’t like it. Fix it, akri, or else I might eat him. The Simi gots needs and I needs my plastic to work. (Simi)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“If they can’t survive alone for four days once a year, they deserve to die. (Acheron)
That’s harsh, for you. (Dante)
Harsh? Tell you what, you take my phone and skim through the three thousand phone calls I get every day and night and see how harsh I am. I truly hate modern technology and phones in particular. I haven’t had a full four hours of sleep in over fifty years. ‘Ash, I broke a toenail, help me. Ash, my head hurts, what should I do?’ (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You know, I’ve never understood it. They make a deal with the devil herself and then expect me to bail them out of every minor scrape. Then when I show up to help them, they cop an attitude and tell me to blow. So if I’m selfish for wanting four days a year to be left alone, then I’m just a selfish bastard. Sue me. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I take offense to that. (Pandora)
And I take offense to my sudden need for a testicle retrieval. You know, I would have liked to have fathered children one day. (Mike)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Relax, the bad guys don’t knock. (Romeo)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“What about the pact they made with our pack? (Pandora)
It’s dissolved. If they pull any more of your kin out of their time period, I’m going to send them a special welcoming committee. (Dante)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I did the right thing, right? (Dante)
No. The panther woman didn’t want you to leave her and now you made her go away. That was just stupid if you ask the Simi. Not that anyone ever does, ‘cause if they did, then they would be smart. Some people are smart. But many, like you, are too stupid to ask me what I think. See? (Simi)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“She doesn’t want me to own her. (Dante)
Well, the Simi doesn’t understand that. Owning’s not so bad. I own akri and he kind of fun. (Simi)”

January 13, 2009 – Shelved
May 3, 2010 –
page 0
0.0% "(Yearly series reread) I love Dante and Pandora! :)"
May 5, 2010 –
page 56
15.22% "(Yearly series reread) Dante is SUCH a sweetie, I love 'im."
January 26, 2013 – Shelved as: classified-novellas-or-many-couples