Richard Claypool's Reviews > Faith of the Fallen

Faith of the Fallen by Terry Goodkind

did not like it

I'm even going to waste my time on this because of how much I hate this book, the bad writing, and Terry Himself.

Many years ago, I read Atlas Shrugged, and was reminded of Aynd's writing style in this book.

The first few books were ok, but even by the previous book, I noticed that the preachyness was getting a bit much.

Kahlan gets hurt, then, in FOTF, she mends with no use of magic. Richard is taken to the Emperial order to teach him the goodness of the order. We're shown; no, we're bashed over the head, with the evils of this life.

Rihard starts showing everyone that they can make their lives better, and really brings this home with the creation of a Statuee. Seeing this statue of the nobility of man, the people have a huge change of heart.

I'm glossing over a lot admittidly, but it's not my place to cover everything.

From this book on, Goodkind gets more preachy, redundant, and annoying.

In an interview, he said that people who bash his work are like little boys who throw rocks through windows, breaking what they do not understand. What I ubnderstand is thiis. Telling a story does not have to be done with repetitious preaching, over the top characters, and implausible climaxes.

Terry is also unhappy that hsi work is labeled fantasy, since it's the philosophy that counts. Well, better sf authors have made more philosophical statements, and have not complained. So, Terry, may I present
you with this massive soapbox?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faith of the Fallen.

Started Reading