Hadrian's Reviews > The Egghead Republic

The Egghead Republic by Arno Schmidt

bookshelves: read-parts-of, german, fiction, scifi

Reduced to its genre classifications, this book is a Cold War utopia/dystopia, set in the far distant year of 2008. The author, a randy journalist, moves from the utopian wilderness of Middle America (with mutated humanoid beasts willing to bone the protagonist, as befitting a lot of scifi), to a city divided in two and ruled by caricatures of the Soviets and Americans. The Americans are hedonistic, the Soviets are collectivist. Lots of early biopolitics.

One of the draws of this book would be a future American English translated into German, and this has been translated back into English. The result is a jagged pile of epithets, neologisms, and punctuation used to express emotion. The distinctive future language would be one of the draws, but it's full of puns, (German puns, no less) and I have the horrible feeling that I'm missing most of the style.

(But something else entirely : I would like to start reading the work of Arno Schmidt some day, but I keep thinking I haven't started anything here at all.'!!!). -

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Egghead Republic.

October 7, 2012 – Shelved
Started Reading
December 11, 2015 – Shelved as: read-parts-of
December 11, 2015 – Shelved as: german
December 11, 2015 – Shelved as: fiction
December 11, 2015 – Shelved as: scifi
December 11, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Howard But even if we sort out our diplomatic issues by 2008, we still have the Mayan doomsday prophesy of 2012 to worry about. Doomed doomed doomed.

message 2: by Hadrian (new) - added it

Hadrian We've lived through so many 'ends of the world' that we're just used to them now. 2000, 2008, 2012, whatever. Such is life.