Patty's Reviews > The Wind in the Willows

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

1020899
Oct 07, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, adventure, audiobook, friendship, humor, classic-literature, juvenile-fiction, fiction, fantasy, nature, speculative-fiction, animals, reread
Read in October, 2012

Contrary to Thomas Wolfe, there are ways you can go home again. For me, one way seems to be books. I have only recently become a re-reader and part of the reason is that I can visit old friends. Re-reading The Wind in the Willows was not exactly visiting my old home, but I am very glad to meet up again with Ratty, Mole, Badger and Mr. Toad.

I was curious how much of this tale I remembered. I had been to Toad Hall on my own and with my children, but both trips were long ago. I had a pleasant five hours driving my own automobile and listening to the antics of Ratty, Mole and the others. I remembered Mr Toad's obsession with motor vehicles, but not the jailer's daughter. The weasels and stoats were familiar, but not the end of their part of the story.

I can't imagine that there are any readers who have not met these animals. If you haven't this book is for you. You can't miss Grahame's wonderful story. I also recommend an audio version to reluctant readers - it will help with the unfamiliar words. Lastly I recommend this novel to children and their parents to read together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind in the Willows.