Carrie's Reviews > The Maltese Falcon

The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett

Jan 13, 2009

liked it
Read in February, 2006

Oh boy! Am I hard-boiled now or what? This was a perfect book to pick as my new commuting book, because I had jury duty today, and what better company for a stressful day filled with annoying bureaucracy than Sam Spade and his tough-talking fast-thinking ways? I’m not sure whether I have read the book before, or whether I have just seen the movie, but either way I enjoyed it immensely.

The plot doesn’t make too much sense – lots of double crossing and shooting and such, and I didn’t really care much for Ms. Brigid O’Shaughnessy before it became clear that she was up to no good, nor did I believe that Spade had any sort of feelings for her at all, other than getting what was his. And I’m not really much for hard-boiled detectives anyway – I am more of a Poirot and Jane Marple kind of girl. But there is language – and even more so, insights into human character in this book that elevates it above the pulp it could be (and before you say anything, yeah, I know that this is not an original thought and that better critics than I have said this first!). The way Spade can see through the trickery of O’Shaughnessy is just so right - I can’t say I am dying to read more Hammett, but I enjoyed this greatly. And it made a dreadful day much more exciting than it might otherwise have been!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maltese Falcon.