trishtrash's Reviews > Papillon

Papillon by Henri Charrière

Jan 13, 2009

bookshelves: biog-autobiog-memoirs, classics, non-fiction

I was blown away by this book ... by the strength of character displayed by the author (admittedly not always a character to be unreservedly liked), by the mad adventures he undertook, and by the amazing richness of a life that a court tried to throw into a hole and forget about.

There is something so fundamentally heartening about Papillon’s refusal to remain incarcerated for a crime he did not commit (though he ends his tale by admitting that he was a character ripe to be accused of it) that his escape attempts, his adventures, his successes and failures can only be followed with a mixture of – if not always approval – admiration and whole-hearted hope that things should end well for him. Despite some flaws of character and a style of writing that descends here and there into occasional egotistical self-approval, one cannot help agreeing with the friends of Papillon who declare him worthy of loyalty and every help in his escape attempts.

The brutal harshness of the French penal system, the incredible richness of life that he encounters on his breaks, the amazing friendships that he forges, the moments of genuine horror that he witnesses are described vividly and with a well-paced flair for narrative that isn’t lost with translation. Papillon may – like any person – have been capable of blunt actions and mistakes, but his credit lies in the fact that, in the face of such dismal prospect, he tried to remain a man who considered what was honourable while refusing to compromise his single-minded goal… to be free.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Papillon.

07/23/2017 marked as: read

message 1: by Antony (new)

Antony P,V I read this book many times and still I am repeating that. Why because the book is full of hope and energy. The never ending fight to survive. That is grate. This book gives me tremendous energy to meet the hazards in my life.. which was already been there and yet to come.. As Hemingway said .. A man can be destroyed But not defeated. Grate...Papillon.