Otis Chandler's Reviews > Master and Commander

Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian

Jan 13, 2009

bookshelves: adventure, fiction, historical-fiction, england, sailing, england, historicalnovels, fiction, europe
Recommended to Otis by: Ken-ichi

One of the most enjoyable stories I've read in some time. Captain Jack Aubrey was a fascinating character. You just wanted him to succeed - to capture the Spanish vessel, to gain the respect of his men, to gain the respect of the Admiral.

The book is set during the Napoleonic Wars, and it was interesting to see all the Kings ships were nothing but glorified pirates, capturing all vessels they could on the open seas.

The book also strongly reminded me of my sailing lessons from last summer - I still had to look a lot of words up, but I remembered ones like leeward and abeam. Makes me want to go sailing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Master and Commander.

January 13, 2009 – Shelved
April 21, 2009 –
page 50
10.89% "The meeting of Jack and Maturin was a bit strange..."
April 28, 2009 –
page 75
16.34% "Loving the description of the boat with all the names for all the masts and sails - reminds me of sailing class!"
May 14, 2009 –
page 200
43.57% "I can't believe Captain Jack is nothing more than a pirate!"
May 21, 2009 –
page 289
62.96% "Ballsy move - but it paid off..."
Started Reading
May 23, 2009 –
page 412
89.76% "Done. Can't wait for the next one."
May 23, 2009 – Shelved as: adventure
August 1, 2010 – Shelved as: england
August 1, 2010 – Shelved as: historicalnovels
August 1, 2010 – Shelved as: fiction
August 9, 2010 – Shelved as: europe

Doug Bradshaw The New York Times rated this as the best historical fiction ever. I found that it was excellent, but kind of a tough read.

Ken-ichi Yessss..... I kind of want to arrange a Patrick O'Brian pot luck, where everyone brings a different dish from the books. I was thinking of baking weevils into some hard tack.

Elizabeth I would agree that it's fantastic historical fiction. I had to look up some of the words as I was reading, but the story remained humorous and exciting.