Becca's Reviews > Turtles All the Way Down

Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

bookshelves: to-read

Let us play a little game called "What could this book possibly about?"
First off, we can argue a bit about the setting. His early work would suggest that he prefers warm places, but over the years he has slowly migrated to the Midwest.We can assume that this time it will be set on the sun, for the conditions are best for cultivating our feels, and destroying our hope.

Next, we can examine the characters. They must be the perfect combination of witty, socially awkward, beautiful, and of course, burdened with a great amount of tragedy and overwrought with pain. I'm guessing ex-convict and clown. Good pairing

The plot is tricky, you see, for this varies greatly book to book. The spectrum is quite wide. I'm going to guess it'll be a complex story that weaves together the lives of the ex-convict who becomes the first great poet in years, and the young circus clown who keeps having dreams of the constellation Hercules. Yes, this sounds about right. I think they will need to save the world from llamas.
And the romance. One mustn't forget the romance. All you really need to know is it will break your heart.
So, if I have guessed correctly, this book will be about a past criminal mastermind and a clown, living on the sun. Together they will stop llamas from taking over the universe.
Or, y'know, worst comes to worst and it's twilight fanfiction.
Whatever it is, I'm sure we will I CAN'T,"ASFJSDFLK" and feel all of the feels.
UPDATE: So, we have a title. This is clearly about wimbleton and its philosophical after effects.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turtles All the Way Down.

October 6, 2012 – Shelved
February 12, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma u've really thought this through.

message 2: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca I haz!

message 3: by Diana (new)

Diana i'm really intrigued...

message 4: by 1/8 of a penny (new)

1/8 of a penny Gasp!
That might be it
I'm thinking you've captured his whole insight on what this book will be about
I applaud this review

Farah 🌈 French the llama, this is an epitome of the word awesome.

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma Rory ur being discovered! I so proud!

message 7: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily Beautiful!

message 8: by Diana (new)

Diana slow down there, Sherlock

message 9: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca It is not my fault that I cannot help my beautiful powers of deduction.

message 10: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Even if it is Twilight fanfic, we can know that there will be some John Green twists... cough *road trip* cough cough

message 11: by Samah (new)

Samah you are fucking jesus

Jessica DFTBA to you. You're awesome.

message 13: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca Why thank you, kind ones!

message 14: by natalie (new) - added it

natalie This is literally a perfect description of whats to come. :-)

message 15: by Mariana (new)

Mariana Russel If that's not what the book ends up being about, then you should write that. It sounds wonderful.

message 16: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca *blushing furiously* You people are alL SO NICE

message 17: by Georgia (new) - added it

Georgia You have psychic powers me thinks because that sounds so John Greeny

message 18: by Valeria (new) - added it

Valeria I think I heard what the plot was on Instagram long ago, but I forgot and can't seem to find the post:(

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily all of his books are the same plot: a road trip (TFiOS was the Amsterdam trip). only LfA didn't have that.

message 20: by KT (new) - rated it 5 stars

KT Please write a book.

message 21: by Ally (new)

Ally Don't be a jerk!

message 22: by Gabriela (new) - added it

Gabriela | I'm On An Island Of Books maybe the book is about tennis

message 23: by Gabriela (new) - added it

Gabriela | I'm On An Island Of Books also my friends thought it said rachet

message 24: by Jack (new)

Jack This book takes place in Indianapolis and the main character gies to Carmel High School. The main character steals stuff, such as umbrellas, to sell to people on the street. If you are wondering how I know, I went hear John Green talk at Butler University a year ago and he read us the first couple of chapters. Then it was titled Data Racket but apparently it is The Racket now.

message 25: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca no im pretty sure it is about clowns

message 26: by Gabriela (new) - added it

Gabriela | I'm On An Island Of Books Jack wrote: "This book takes place in Indianapolis and the main character gies to Carmel High School. The main character steals stuff, such as umbrellas, to sell to people on the street. If you are wondering ho..."

Becca wrote: "no im pretty sure it is about clowns"

yes because some of us want to have nightmares

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep. It's about clowns, llamas, and convicts. DFTBA!!!!!That was so. awesome. Just... Write a book.

Jade McCormack People are saying it's either a tfios sequel (i beat him to it. i win) or a looking for alaska and paper towns sequel/prequel

Jade McCormack and there's a page for a book by john green called data racket w/o any description so maybe that's it

message 30: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca unfortunately, im not that into johm green anymore :/

Morgan Ashley You, Becca, are a genius.

Jenny I applaud you for this.

message 33: by Kassie (new)

Kassie Hamilton Becca, if this is not what this book turns out to be about, which it totally will be, you must follow through with this comment and write your own story. Keep me posted

message 34: by Muza (new) - rated it 5 stars

Muza Abdullaeva I ❤ it

Lindsay Simms Have finished the book. Can confirm that your theory was spot on.

Sadie I think you should write a book Becca. Clowns and ex-convicts sound great

tessa after finishing the book the convict, hercules constellation and poetry theories were surprisingly spot on

Jenny This is beautiful.

Maegrauko I love how you got the poet/stargazing elements right