T.R. Graves's Reviews > 13 on Halloween

13 on Halloween by Laura A.H. Elliott

Oct 06, 2012

bookshelves: to-read

Within the covers of 13 on Halloween (Shadow #1), the very talented Laura A.H. Elliott has brilliantly exemplified the narcissism and the varying levels of maturity that sometimes plagues tweens. Twelve year-old Roxie still loves jumping on the trampoline, but those types of juvenile tendencies take second place to her discovery of boys (especially Hayden, the cutest guy in the eighth grade), make-up, and the changes a young woman's body undergoes when she becomes a teenager.

Overshadowing absolutely everything else in Roxie's world is her obsession with becoming a 'peacock' or one of the popular kids. Periodically, her pre-tween self rears her head and longs for a life where her brothers still joke with her and her mother is her closest confidant. As quickly as she has those types of thoughts, she switches back to the person willing to risk anything and everything to become Queen Roxie.

Roxie's thirteenth birthday... her first ever birthday party changes everything. With it, the party begins, astral projection becomes possible, and the world changes.

I should mention that I listened to 13 on Halloween (Shadow #1)'s audiobook and found the narrator to be as talented as Laura A.H. Elliott. I wasn't sure what to expect from an indie author when it came to this format. I was not disappointed. After listening to 13 on Halloween (Shadow #1), I can tell you the professionalism was comparable to that of the traditionally published books... only it didn't cost nearly as much. 13 on Halloween (Shadow #1) was $1.99. Every other audiobook I've ever bought has costs between $25-$30. I will definitely be looking for other indie author's books to 'read' via audiobook. Their stories are as good as traditionally published books, and they are extremely affordable.

T.R. Graves
Warriors of the Cross
Guardians of the Cross
Enemies of the Cross
Left
Grave Bound
Underground

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 13 on Halloween.