Andrea Wall's Reviews > Such Wicked Intent

Such Wicked Intent by Kenneth Oppel

Oct 06, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites, horror-creepy-check-under-the-bed, ya
Read from October 06 to 08, 2012

The fist book int his series was good, but not amazing. I wasn't really excited about reading the second one, I was more just mildly interested.I was also skeptical about this business about the "spirit wold" I was worried it would make the book seem utterly un-real. And the thing I had loved most about the first one was how the impossible had seemed real.

Luckily this book surprised me. The characters are better written and more real. It was intense all the time. I stay up till 1 am reading it and it freaked me out so much I laid there awake for an hour afterwards just being completely freaked out. The spirit world is confusing and deliciously frightening. The "monsters" are chilling and creepy. Victor is stubborn annoying obsessed and cold most of the time with parts where is little it of goodness shines through. He isn't a traditional nobel hero! That is for sure and while this bothered me more in the first book, in the second one I loved it.

I can't wait for the next one!! :D I hope these books continue to get better and better, because there are some great, fresh and original characters and ideas here.

(**The only thing I didn't like is everyone's obsession over Elizabeth. yes, she is an awesome character with a great personality, and is the only girl in the series really, but does EVERYONE have to fall in love with her?!?! I think the love triangle could be changed a bit to make it as original as the rest of the book. Not that is was awful, just predictable and slightly annoying.**)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Such Wicked Intent.