Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more's Reviews > Magic Rises

Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews

First of all, it's still amazing to me how the Andrews can reduce you to tears over peripheral characters with just a few sentences.

One minute you're fine, then the next you're, "Well, that sucks," and then your face gets warm, your eyes get hot, and before you even know what's happened, you're blubbering.

YES. Blubbering.

Why are you blubbering?

B/c a mother gets down on the floor to sing her child, who will more-than-likely have to be killed b/c she's gone rabid, a lullaby, barely able to choke out the words. Through plexiglass.

*sobs*

But more than simply messing with your FEELS b/c they can, this situation clearly illustrates Curran and Kate's willingness to sail to Europe as neutral third parties, and play bodyguard/arbitrate a situation that has three separate packs ready to come to blows, despite being fully aware that they are walking into a trap . . . b/c the payment for doing so is a year supply of panacea, an herbal mixture that greatly decreases the chance of loupism in shifters, especially during birth and in adolescence.

In short . . . a worthy cause.

But for the first time, I had a couple of issues with a KATE DANIELS book:

1. One of my biggest RAGE buttons when I'm reading is anything that involves cheating, the appearance of cheating, ex-lovers, wives, etc. showing up and trying to get back what they didn't appreciate when it was theirs, and . . . pretty, young things trying to steal your man.

*grinds teeth*

I'm really angry at myself for not reviewing this properly the first time I read it, b/c as hesitant as I was to put myself through the reading of MAGIC RISES a second time, all of my anxiety was for nothing. I already knew what was going on, so I wasn't able to recapture the absolute misery I went through on the first pass, and am therefore unable to adequately describe it for you.

But I'm still determined to try.

It. Was. A-W-F-U-L.

I was in the depths of despair, b/c damn the Andrews, they made you walk with Kate through her steadfast belief in Curran's love and loyalty, through the steady decline to fear and doubt, all the way to the end that was heartbreak, disbelief, fury, and a bitter numbness.

It was physically painful to read this book, which brings me to my second issue:

2. I'm not sure how I feel about Kate and Curran being so perfect for each other based on their "sameness," which makes them capable of understanding the horrible things they put each other through.<-----I'm not convinced that's a healthy relationship.

3. Lastly, and I can't decide if it's this or the RAGE button that I have the biggest problem with, but . . . there were too many weird creatures.

I'm fine with the creatures that were ultimately the Big Bad in this installment (excluding Hugh, of course), and I even thought Doolittle's walkthrough that first insinuated the statues were an allegory was really cool.

The astanay was awesome. Loved that guy. The monster eel was fine, too.

But weredolphins?

I get that there's mythology to support their existence, but it's just so cornball. It pushed me over the hey-that's-a-really-cool-mythical-creature line and into the realm of that's-just-silly.

BUT . . . my least favorite KATE DANIELS book is still way better than most of the other Urban Fantasy available. This was still a good book. I just hate that it was necessary for Curran to do what he did, and I'm not sure I'll be able to love Kate and Curran the same way as a couple after this.
description
And I don't want to taco 'bout it.

My other reviews for this series:

A Questionable Client (Kate Daniels, #0.5)
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
Magic Mourns (Kate Daniels, #3.5)
Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
Magic Dreams (Kate Daniels, #4.5)
Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
Magic Tests (Kate Daniels, #5.3)
Magic Gifts (Kate Daniels, #5.4)
Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels, #5.5)
Retribution Clause (Kate Daniels, #5.6)
An Ill-Advised Rescue (Kate Daniels, #5.8)
Magic Steals (Kate Daniels, #6.5)
Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
Magic Stars (Kate Daniels, #8.5, Grey Wolf, #1)
Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9)
Iron and Magic (Kate Daniels, #9.5)
Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)
Curran POV Collection

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Rises.

Quotes Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Liked

Ilona Andrews
“I tried to picture a female version of Jim and got Jim in a dress instead. The image was disturbing.”

Ilona Andrews
“« Are you hungry, baby?” Curran asked.
“Starving.”
“I think we should go to dinner.”
“Great idea.”
“What are you going to wear?”
“My badass face.”
“Good choice,” he said. »”

Ilona Andrews
“Outside the windows the day was bright: golden sunshine, blue sky, pleasant wind . . . I wanted to punch the happy day in the face, grab it by the hair, and beat it until it told me what the hell it was so happy about.”

Ilona Andrews
“Did you read the instructions?” He shook his head. “Why, were you afraid they’d take your man card away?” “Are you going to help me or just make fun of me?” “Can’t I do both?”

Finished Reading
October 6, 2012 – Shelved
July 28, 2014 – Started Reading
July 28, 2014 –
4.0% "Meredith slipped off her chair. She sat on the floor by the Plexiglas and began to sing. Her voice shook.\n "Hush, little baby, don't say a word . . . "\n description"
July 28, 2014 –
11.0% "How the hell did she find out? "Do you have spies in Clan Heavy?"\n "I have spies everywhere."\n I looked at Andrea...\n "She had tea with Mahon's wife," Andrea said.\n Aunt B looked at her. "You and I need to work on your air of mystery."\n Andrea shrugged. "She's my best friend. I won't lie to her."\n I raised my fist and she bumped it with hers\n \n BFFs 4-EVAH. Hells yeah."
July 28, 2014 –
17.0% "The highway snaked its way through a flat salt marsh...A sign flashed by, a yellow diamond with a turtle...followed immediately by another sign, a triangle bordered in red. A turtle in the center of the triangle had a cone touching its mouth.\n "What does that mean?" Barabas asked...\n "Magic turtle crossing."\n "I got that one, but what about the second one?"\n "Beware the magic turtles."\n "Why?"\n "They spit fire.""
July 28, 2014 –
30.0% "That does it. I leaned forward. "Hey, you. Either put your claws where your mouth is or shut the fuck up. Nobody wants to hear you yip."\n Jarek's eyes bulged. Green flared in the depths of his irises, and insane hot flame. He opened his mouth but nothing came out.\n "Yes, just like that," I told him. "Less talking, more quiet."\n \n *fist pump*"
July 28, 2014 –
30.0% ""For a moment I thought you might be a real human being, but you proved me wrong. Thanks. It will make it so much easier to kill you."\n Hugh leaned forward. A strange light danced in his eyes. "Want to give it a shot?"\n Anytime. "Why, you want you show me what you've learned?"\n "Ooo." Hugh sucked the air in, narrowing his eyes. "Mean. I like mean."\n \n It bothers me that Hugh is so damn sexy."
July 29, 2014 –
69.0% ""I'll come, too," Eduardo said.\n "Why don't you let me go instead," Keira said. "You can barely stand."\n "I don't know, all he has to do is come with us and loom," Aunt B said.\n Eduardo crossed his arms...making his giant biceps bulge. "What do you mean, loom?"\n "We need you to stand there with your arms crossed and scowl," I translated.\n Eduardo scowled. "I don't do that."\n "Just like that," Derek said."
July 29, 2014 – Finished Reading
September 27, 2017 – Shelved (Mass Market Paperback Edition)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie "Recommended for the WHOLE world." I like it.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Anasylvia wrote: "Can't read this right now, but I saw some crying going on, and I'm nervous."

Be VERY nervous, Anasylvia. This book just about killed us. BUT lucky you, Kate #7 is available right friggin' now, so you don't have to wait that worst year EVAH to feel better ;)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Stephanie wrote: ""Recommended for the WHOLE world." I like it."

HA. I've done that with this entire series<-----overzealous fangirl, YES, that's me.

message 4: by Exina (new) - added it

Exina Awesome review, Jessica! :)

Rhonda Stees-marcial Kick ass review Jessica!

message 6: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Part of me wonders if two people as broken as Kate and Curran could possibly survive a relationship together without the constant danger and adrenaline giving added fuel to their love. But then the other half of me is emotionally dependent on the two of them being together so I refuse to listen to the more rational part of my brain.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Rhonda wrote: "Kick ass review Jessica!"

Exina wrote: "Awesome review, Jessica! :)"

Thank you, ladies!! ;)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Ami wrote: "Part of me wonders if two people as broken as Kate and Curran could possibly survive a relationship together without the constant danger and adrenaline giving added fuel to their love. But then th..."

Hahahaha!! That is so me. I'm pretty sure that's why this book tore me up so badly--I just couldn't process what was happening. I mean, it would have been bad enough to make me watch Kate suffer the way she did, even having inside information and knowing that it was all part of "the plan." BUT THERE WAS NO INSIDE INFORMATION. (view spoiler)

message 9: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami My favorite part of book 6 is when Mahon does that whole "you are pack" speech to Kate. Finally, FINALLY, he accepts her! It is the one shining moment in that whole Curran-pretends-to-be-in-love-with-someone-else scheme.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Yeah, that was definitely a highlight. I didn't want to hate Mahon, but prior to that speech, he made it kind of hard not to.

message 11: by Conor (new)

Conor Nice review Jessica. Urban fantasy isn't normally my thing but after seeing your reviews for this series I've added it to my TBR.

Krista D I thought the scene where the Mom sings to her kid was really sad when I read it, but when I listened to the audio version, it was definitely blubber inducing.

message 13: by Markus (new)

Markus Awesome review, Jessica. I'll probably give the first book a try soon.

message 14: by Rogier (new)

Rogier I love her book covers. I skimmed a bit Lil
Have a lovely weekend , Jessica

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Conor wrote: "Nice review Jessica. Urban fantasy isn't normally my thing but after seeing your reviews for this series I've added it to my TBR."

Thanks, Conor! And yay!! This is actually a good UF series for someone who typical reads fantasy, b/c there's a lot of mythology and crossovers with other elements of fantasy.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Krista D wrote: "I thought the scene where the Mom sings to her kid was really sad when I read it, but when I listened to the audio version, it was definitely blubber inducing."

It was bad enough for me in the book. I don't even want to think about what the audio would be like . . . (I have been called a crybaby . . . FYI).

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Rogier wrote: "I love her book covers. I skimmed a bit Lil
Have a lovely weekend , Jessica"

Wait until you see the book cover for Kate #8. It's FANTASTIC. You too, Rogier!<-----such a sweetheart ;)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Markus wrote: "Awesome review, Jessica. I'll probably give the first book a try soon."

Thanks, Markus! I hope you do ;)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

HAH, love the review Jess. I can understand those peeves pretty well.

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Great review, Jessica :D

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Kat Stark wrote: "HAH, love the review Jess. I can understand those peeves pretty well."

Good to not be alone ;)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Christine The Dark Romance Junkie *Mafia Princess* wrote: "Great review, Jessica :D"

Thanks, Christine!

Wendy Darling Hah hah, that Burrito of Sadness is the best thing. I'm sorry this one wasn't quite as awesome as you'd hoped, but their worst is still better than most people's best.

Also, I just really like the Burrito of Sadness.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Wendy Darling wrote: "but their worst is still better than most people's best."<-----YES. Very true. I like the Burrito of Sadness too--PINTEREST, an excellent source for when words just don't cut it ;)

message 25: by Olga (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olga "I am a burrito of sadness" Lol! Perfect pic!

I had the same feeling about the weredolphins... I mean, seriously? I had hard time trying to imagine those and not laughing. A bit too much.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Seriously--what does that even look like? How do you take this:
and this:
description
And get something scary? Riiiiiidiculous.

message 27: by Olga (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olga LMAO! Add some shark teeth and that's exactly how I pictured the weredolphins! Then throw some pirates in the mix... Just no. Ridiculous is the right word.

Nafeeza Great review Jessica- the part with Aunt B made me a blubbering mess. I still can't believe it, I loved her.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Nafeeza wrote: "Great review Jessica- the part with Aunt B made me a blubbering mess. I still can't believe it, I loved her."

I find that it helps to imagine Ilona angrily loading the dishwasher. Not much. But a little bit. 😔