Sara's Reviews > Out Stealing Horses

Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson

Jan 12, 2009

bookshelves: owned, nyt-bestbooks, foreign, fiction

Trond Sander. This is an intense character study of a simple man who is aging, and is forced to revisit events in his past. Details are often scant (we know about the death of his wife and sister but he doesn't retell the story of their passing), but he often reveals his emotions with beautiful descriptions of the natural world. Much like Cormac McCarthy, yet assuredly unique. It's quite mournful and melancholy.

Update 2/13...I've just finished the book and although the I read the last 80 pages in interrupted chunks I have thoughts of re-reading it. This is a rarity for me. Like I said before his language is so simple but beautifully descriptive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out Stealing Horses.

Quotes Sara Liked

Per Petterson
“Time is important to me now, I tell myself.Not that it should pass quickly or slowly, but only be time, be something I live inside and fill with physical things and activities that I can divide it up by. so that it grows distict to me and does not vanish when I am not looking.”
Per Petterson, Out Stealing Horses