mark monday's Reviews > Silently and Very Fast

Silently and Very Fast by Catherynne M. Valente

131922

bookshelves: scifi-modern, legendarium, alpha-team
Recommended to mark by: Nataliya

hello gorgeous! i am amazed. such a tender story of an AI trying to grow up, such luminous prose, glowing pearls of prose, layers of myth and fable and parable and dreams and dreaming and dreamscapes and science like magic. a tale retold in so many ways, characters like archetypes but real, so real! a child trying to grow up. parents who are brothers and sisters and lovers and children. such yearning! such emotion! such simple emotions, and such complexity. such brilliant clarity. an author perfectly in control of her talent. a weaving, a tapestry, an ancient story and a bright shiny new one. how many ways can a story be told and still feel fresh? Valente seems to know all the ways. and all the words, and all the metaphors, and all the things my own robot mind wishes it could say, to put into words, to make sense of things like life and death and growing up and wanting to be more, so much more, but not knowing what that more really is, can be, could have been, can still be. a tender and wistful dream of a story. it won the Hugo for Best Novella. well-deserved. a good recipe will taste rich and evocative of certain places, but will also be simple. it will focus on showcasing the ingredients. it will all come together in a beautiful kind of simplicity. i like to take my time with such a meal, but it's hard. so delicious! it looks so good and it is good for you too. Silently and Very Fast is an enriching and nourishing experience. warmth and kindness and sadness and a terrible wonderful ambiguity; the sweet breath of life and a darker taste of the unknown. all the important things. beautiful, beautiful! the story makes me want to have AI children of my own. i sigh, a longing sigh but i'm not sure what i'm longing for. see what you do to me? i can barely make my words make sense. i can't even get my sentences right, my metaphors straight. oh it doesn't matter, you are in me now.

Photobucket

plus you can read it for free at:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silently and Very Fast.

October 6, 2012 – Started Reading
October 6, 2012 – Shelved
Finished Reading
October 15, 2012 – Shelved as: scifi-modern
October 15, 2012 – Shelved as: legendarium
October 21, 2013 – Shelved as: alpha-team

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by carol. (new) - added it

carol. Oh! Interested in your review. Buy you a drink? :)

mark monday i''ve read the first third and it is great so far! and i'll have a Jameson's on the rocks.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate Sherrod Valente is good. Haven't read this one yet, though. Jameson's all around!

mark monday read it, read it!

message 5: by carol. (new) - added it

carol. Drunk review, drunken review!

mark monday haha, nope! stone cold sober!

Andrea beautiful

Trudi bravo! Very nicely done.

message 9: by Nilesh (last edited Oct 15, 2012 11:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nilesh Kashyap Thanks for the link Mark, would've never even thought of reading this otherwise.

message 10: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) Isn't there a thing about "State Dependent Memory?"

Heh. Great review... again. Seems like a habit you have, great reviews... thanks Mark.

Nataliya Mark, your review is absolutely lovely!

message 12: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Wonderful review, Mark!

message 13: by mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

mark monday Andrea, Trudi, Hugh, Nataliya, Jim... thank you very, very much!

Nilesh, i really hope you read this one!

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris Haughey Would just like you to know that I check out your reviews quite alot. They have been the main signposts that I've used when deciding on a new book for about 6 months now! Think I'll try this next...I also need to read A Canticle For Leobowitz too. Again, thanks for your heartfelt and engaging reviews. Chris.

message 15: by mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

mark monday Chris, thank you for the kind words. much appreciated!