Sam Quixote's Reviews > Aquaman, Volume 1: The Trench

Aquaman, Volume 1 by Geoff Johns

I admit I'm one of those people who used to scoff at Aquaman, seeing him as a character long out of date and too cheesy to continue into the 21st century. So it's a pleasant surprise that I read "The Trench" and not only enjoyed it but was genuinely impressed with this character and his world as presented by the skilled minds of writer Geoff Johns and artist Ivan Reis.

My opinion of Aquaman is widely shared and the character has been mocked on popular comedy shows like "Saturday Night Live" and "Family Guy" so it's good to see Johns address these in the opening chapter of the book. It seems no one in Aquaman's world really respects him either! He's constantly being made fun of by law enforcement officers and members of the public, stoically ignoring their barbs and saving their ungrateful lives anyway. While some superheroes have a hard time with the public because they're alien (Superman) or perceived as criminals themselves (Batman), Aquaman may be the first superhero whom the public acknowledge as a hero but don't take seriously because his very existence seems so silly. It makes for an interesting perspective in comics, one I've never seen before.

Arthur Curry aka Aquaman is living with his girlfriend Mera aka Aquawoman (a mermaid who is able to control water in all its forms psychically) in Amnesty Bay on the East Coast of America where he grew up with his (now deceased) father. Sea monsters from beneath the trench of the Atlantic Ocean emerge and begin abducting the townspeople of Amnesty Bay en masse, taking them down to the depths to feed to their queen - Aquaman to the rescue!

Johns sets up the world of Aquaman nicely, especially for new readers to the character (like me), as he retells part of Aquaman's story in flashbacks along with the fragments of the backstories of important characters like his dad, Dr Shin, and Mera. Johns doesn't explain Atlantis or why Arthur has chosen not to become King of Atlantis but this is hinted at as being addressed in future books.

Having seen Aquaman in action, I buy his superhero status fully and found myself engrossed in his story. He's a sympathetic and likeable hero with a lot of potential for further adventures. Johns and Reis treat him with dignity and seriousness and anyone who thought of him as a joke beforehand will think differently after reading this (at least he's no more mock-able than any other superhero). "The Trench" is a brilliant start to a great character. With Johns and Reis in the driving seat, I'll definitely pick up further books in this series. Aquaman is one of the surprise must-reads of the New 52.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aquaman, Volume 1.

Started Reading
October 5, 2012 – Shelved
October 5, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Anne I've heard this one is really good. Thanks for confirming it!

message 2: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Quixote Anne wrote: "I've heard this one is really good. Thanks for confirming it!"

I know, Aquaman - who'da thunk it?

Anne He totally stole the show in Justice League, Vol. 1: Origin, too.
Hmmm. How long do you think we've got before they come out with an 'Aquaman' movie? lol

message 4: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Quixote I really enjoyed the Justice League book too. With Origin, Batman Earth One and this book, all published in 2012, Geoff Johns is having a tremendous year!

DC/Warner Bros are scrambling to put together a Justice League movie after the Avengers cleaned up this year, so hopefully we’re only a couple years away from seeing Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and the Flash make their big screen appearances alongside a rebooted Batman, Superman and Green Lantern.

'kris Pung I really enjoyed the first half of the book the second half really slowed down and lost my interest. Also it was a bit overkill just how many times the local townspeople would question Aquaman’s abilities.

message 6: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Quixote Yeah didn't notice the townspeople calling out Aquaman until weeks after I read the book. Now I can't help noticing it like in the JL books too. I've a feeling it's going to make reading Vol 2 that much less enjoyable.

Alec Hensley Greatest part of the book is when Aquaman throws that reporter out the seafood restaurant window

message 8: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Quixote Alec wrote: "Greatest part of the book is when Aquaman throws that reporter out the seafood restaurant window"

Hehe, yeah...