Ron Peters's Reviews > Adventures on the Wine Route: A Wine Buyer's Tour of France

Adventures on the Wine Route by Kermit Lynch

bookshelves: oenology, memoir, travel, food-wine

Chablis is so good with oysters
that I’m tempted to leave these cloisters
and find true love where I’m apt to.

From a 10th Century French poem

This is a charming book that every single French wine lover should read. Lynch has some old-fashioned ideas about winemaking that I happen to agree with; both of us lament the near-universal market nowadays for enormous, tannic Frankenwines over anything with finesse and subtlety.

The book is chock-a-block with interesting stories about the idiosyncrasies of the people involved in the French wine trade. Sadly, since this is a 25th-anniversary printing, some of them have now passed away. It is also a nice memoir of travel and dining. For the parts of France that I have visited, his remarks are bang-on.

I now have the personal goal of spending part of 2022 pecking away at tracking down some of the products of the wineries and winemakers he talks about, whether locally or with the help of a friend of mine who, conveniently, lives half the year in Provençe! :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adventures on the Wine Route.

October 9, 2021 – Started Reading