preppea's Reviews > Consequences

Consequences by Aleatha Romig

Oct 04, 2012

bookshelves: dark, favorite-dark-reads, kidnap, suspense, abuse, held-captive, zz-reviewed

CONSEQUENCES is not a book for the faint of heart. It is a dark and amazingly written story about kidnap, abuse, and mind-control.

CONSEQUENCES follows Claire as she is abducted by a rich and powerful businessman, Anthony Rawlings. Anthony is able to infiltrate every aspect of Claire's life in order to convince her family, friends, and coworkers that she has chosen to leave her home and job rather than the truth - that she was abducted against her will and is being held captive. Anthony keeps Claire under tight-control in his mansion, abusing her physically, mentally, and sexually while monitoring everything she does via video cameras, rules, and a staff paid to keep quiet about what they see and hear.

I couldn't help but be consumed by this dark, disturbing, and painfully raw book. Aleatha Romig does such an amazing job of writing a story that feels so real you can't help but experience every emotion Claire feels. I felt like I was fighting to escape this story:this relationship - yet could also completely understand why Claire felt so powerless to escape. Anthony was such a dark and disturbing man - and yet there is a twist in the story that shows you - you thought you knew disturbing? You don't KNOW DISTURBING until Aleatha Romig shows you DISTURBING.

I found CONSEQUENCES to be captivating and debilitating - but if you're up for the emotional rollercoaster - it is a story you won't want to miss! (Now I'm off to read fairytales and stories of happy people in happy places for a while so I can leave the dark cloud I feel like I just lived through! After all, I've got to get to a better place so I'm prepared for the sequel coming out in November!!!)

**Reviewed by Michelle on I ♥ Bookie Nookie Reviews
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Consequences.

October 4, 2012 – Started Reading
October 4, 2012 – Shelved
October 21, 2012 –
0.0% "I think I'm getting a permanent worry line between my eyebrows from reading this book!!! ARGH!"
October 22, 2012 – Finished Reading