CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian's Reviews > Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers

Breastfeeding Made Simple by Kathleen A. Kendall-Tackett

bookshelves: motherhood, nonfiction, relationships-parenting

While this book is definitely not perfect, I found it immensely helpful, reassuring, and actually an interesting read. I wish I'd read it before giving birth! It's full of scientific citations and details about studies about breastfeeding, which are used to provide general guidance and practical tips. I read the ebook and there were lots of pages I screenshot to refer back to. I know I'll read sections on weaning again when I get to that stage.

I found it interesting how the book sometimes took a biologist kind of POV, looking at humans as breastfeeding mammals like many other animals.

I could have done without the intro. The authors spend a long time arguing (using evidence) that breastfeeding is superior to formula and about the various health benefits of breastfeeding for mother and baby. All true I'm sure!

Unfortunately this intro is a) unnecessary if you've already decided to breastfeed / already are; b) scary to read tbh, like statistics on infant mortality; c) a bit judgmental in tone. I'd rather an intro to a book like this just say explicitly that it's for people who want to / are breastfeeding and briefly mention resources about the health benefits and the problems with formula that readers can check out if they're interested.

I also didn't care Jack Newman's intro. I'm not a fan of being told by a cis man that breastfeeding can / should be easy and simple as it's supposed to be. There's also some exoticization about Black moms when he talks about working in South Africa.

I'd recommend skipping the intros and going straight to the seven laws chapters. I definitely took some of their advice with a grain of salt in those chapters (they advocate for bedsharing while nursing without detailing risks enough in my opinion) but some has been incredibly helpful already both in shaping my attitude and practically re: latching, positioning, etc.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breastfeeding Made Simple.

October 8, 2021 – Started Reading
October 8, 2021 – Shelved
October 8, 2021 – Shelved as: relationships-parenting
October 8, 2021 – Shelved as: nonfiction
October 8, 2021 – Shelved as: motherhood
October 8, 2021 – Shelved as: to-read
October 10, 2021 –
18.0% "While I did find the intro a bit judgey, so far this book is much better than the other one I tried. Tons of citations (of interesting studies), not prescriptive of one way of doing things, and relatively reassuring."
October 11, 2021 –
28.0% "Oh thank god this is actually full of practical, detailed, useful information!!"
October 16, 2021 –
57.0% "Just over halfway and I know this book is going to be indispensable. There is so much useful and interesting information in here!"
October 18, 2021 – Finished Reading