Ivana's Reviews > 6 Seconds of Life

6 Seconds of Life by Tonya Fitzharris

It would be odd to say that I enjoyed this novel because there is little enjoyment in spending time in the company of a depressed teenager with anxiety disorder. Reading 6 Seconds of Life was like watching a trainwreck. What else can you expect, given that the novel opens with Maura jumping off the Golden Gate bridge?

As she falls, she recounts the events that had the most impact on her life and the decision to end it. I loved how unreliable the narrator was; we know that she has some issues of her own, but there's no telling whether her behavior is the trigger for some events or whether she was just unfortunate enough to be surrounded by people who (seemingly) don't care enough.

The thing that intrigued me most about this novel was the ending. How do you wrap it up? What can possibly happen? Can there be a positive ending, or a satisfactory closure in any way?

The novel needed some editing, there were many places were words were obviously missing or misspelled (too/to/two and such).

6 Seconds of Life was a tough one to go through. It seems like Maura's entire life is a long descent into darkness which makes this book an emotional read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 6 Seconds of Life.

October 4, 2012 – Shelved
March 10, 2013 – Started Reading
March 10, 2013 –
86.0% "...like watching a train wreck."
March 11, 2013 – Finished Reading