Becoming Madame's Reviews > The Long Road to Paris

The Long Road to Paris by Ed Howle

To be honest, I wasn't particularly keen on reading this novel when it first came to my attention. I'm not a fan of car racing or rallies and from the cover I thought that was all that was in store for me. It was only after sitting down one rainy afternoon, opening the first page and not putting it down until I reached the final page, that I was so glad I did so.

The Long Road to Paris is at its heart a touching story of long lost love flavored with mystery and the suspense of a true thriller all wrapped up in the unique backdrop of an around the world rally race.

Written as an interlocking series of narrative prose and diary entries, the plot thickens as Ed and Marie-Claire, two apparent strangers, set off on a race crossing the Siberian plains and into communist China. Although fiction, the authors, Ed and Janet Howle, write from a place of personal experience for they were participants in a similar global race in 2011 with a 1967 Volkswagen Beetle.

The plot coils and turns unexpectedly through a subtext laced with covert affairs, spies, mystery and suspense. It reads like a delightful cross between Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code and one of Tom Miller’s travel logs. Spiced with an uncanny knowledge of the secret world of clandestine agencies, this novel is well-paced and entertaining with a slight environmental undercurrent.

Throughout the latter half of the novel, we can't put the book down for our hearts are as peaked by the rekindling romance as our minds are intrigued by the indefatigable dilemma of “Who done it?”
The Long Road to Paris

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Road to Paris.

Started Reading