Graham Elvis's Reviews > Seward: Lincoln's Indispensable Man

Seward by Walter Stahr

Oct 03, 2012

Read from October 03 to November 05, 2012

This is the first book I read by Walter Stahr, I saw Ron Chernow wrote a nice forward about it so I thought it must be good as Chernow is SO good. I really enjoyed the book as it's the only one I've read on Seward. I'm not sure if Stahr is a bit of a "only the facts mam " writer or if Steward while having a long and successful career in politic's wasn't rather dull as a person. One can't do everything Seward did and be totally boring but it seems that way in this book. The thing I think stuck me most about this book is the fact that when I think about Seward I think about what a horrible year 1865 was for him. First Lincoln gets shot, Seward himself gets brutally stabbed and mutilated, his wife dies and then his daugther dies and probably his Goldfish too... Man what a bad year and he likes Andrew Johnson who doesn't really like him. It goes on and on... Hell, the more I think about it this book wasn't bad at all even If I've been walking around thinking it wasn't good, it sure made a good impression.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seward.

10/03/2012 page 77