Jessica Andersen's Reviews > The Girl Who Would Be King

The Girl Who Would Be King by Kelly Thompson

Oct 03, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult

I really enjoyed this book. It is told in first person by two different narrators. The switch between the two is noted by a small symbol, but once you're a little ways into the book you don't really need those markers. The voices are pretty different from each other.

The story is about two girls, one raised by a disinterested mother, the other raised in an orphanage from the age of 6. They both discover they have something that makes them more than other people. They can run faster, they're stronger, they heal from grievous injuries.

One is drawn to help other people. The other is driven to wipe out any competition.

The girls are like two sides of a coin. They are unaware of each other and both are searching for answers.

This book was hard to put down. I read the Kindle file from the kickstarter and there were a few editing or formatting issues. But there were only a couple that I noted and they didn't really detract from the story.

I would highly recommend this book and I hope Kelly Thompson is able to write more great stories!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Would Be King.