Jodi's Reviews > INVISIBLE MINERALS: The Pico-­Ionic Magnesium Solution

INVISIBLE MINERALS by Carolyn Dean

bookshelves: health-books

This book is a brief update on the practical information contained Dr Carolyn Dean's 2006 book 'The Magnesium Miracle.'

The Magnesium Miracle contains lots of information about magnesium and focuses on the research which backs up its use and its benefits. It references over 400 studies. Magnesium is so important for general health and doubly so when you have a serious disease (such as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis). It plays important roles in heart health, muscle function, neurological function and so much more.

“Magnesium is indeed the unsung hero and is a key nutriceutical that everybody needs to know about. . . . This book needs to be read by any individual wishing to improve their quality of life. . . . Dr Dean has the best credentials in bringing solutions to those suffering from the hidden magnesium disorders that affect most of us.” DR. STEPHEN T. SINATRA, M.D., F.A.C.C., F.A.C.N

The new practical information in this book focuses on the new pico-ionic or angstrom magnesium product available - which is many times stronger than others on the market and so is a significant improvement on other products - and to a lesser extent, the value of transdermal magnesium oil (magnesium chloride). It is also a pretty good primer on magnesium generally - although you do really need to read the 2006 book as well if you want some solid references to go along with the practical advice.

The amount of research on the topic of magnesium is 'staggering' according to magnesium expert Dr Carolyn Dean. Magnesium (Mg) is the fourth most abundant mineral found in the body. Magnesium makes up approximately 0.05% of the body weight, around 50 - 60 % of which is found stored in the bones and teeth. Most of the remaining 40 - 50% is found in muscles and soft tissues with the brain and the heart having a high concentration.

This book explains:

* Many of us take in far more calcium than magnesium, which is not good for our health.

* Taking high dose calcium supplements with no magnesium is madness! (Dr Sherry Rogers comments that recommendations for people to take 1500 mg of calcium daily are foolish, inappropriate and unbalanced. Yet such recommendations are quite common, as is telling people to take high-dose calcium and not even mentioning taking any magnesium with it AT ALL. I'm looking at you Dr Oz!)

* The RDA set for magnesium does not ensure adequate magnesium levels in everyone. Tests such as RBC magnesium can be helpful in determining Mg levels but the best test is to slowly work up to a moderate dose and see how you feel.

* Pico-ionic magnesium has the right size and charge to be very well absobed and utilised by the body. Because it is almost 100% absorbed it wont cause loose stools and so can be used even by those with gut problems such as Crohns disease where loose stolls are an issue (as can magnesium oil used transdermally). It is also very concentrated at 50 000 ppm as opposed to the 3000 ppm of many angstrom magnesium products.

* The average dose taken with magnesium pills is 400 - 800 mg but pico-ionic magnesium can be taken at much lower doses. Most people may do well on 125 mg of pico-ionic magnesium a day in divided doses says Dr Dean.

* Those with low blood pressure may do better taking their angstrom calcium and magesium together or using transdermal magnesium oil in order to minimise the sudden relaxing effect of magnesium on the body and the heart.

Some important points on calcium from the book:

* Calcium is far more plentiful in food and less fragile than magnesium. For many of us, a magnesium supplement is necessary and often our calcium needs can be met through diet alone.

* Calcium from most supplements is very badly absorbed. Unlike magnesium, calcium doesn't flush out when not absorbed and can solidify in body tissues such as the heart. Calcium from food will not cause this effect and aside form dietary calcium the only form which doesn't put you at risk of calcification issues is angstrom calcium. Angstrom calcium is almost 100% absorbed and so is the only type of calcium supplement to take. (For more info see the book 'The Calcium Lie.')

* One needs 2-3 times more magnesium than calcium generally, and often this amount of calcium (roughly 500 - 700 mg) can be obtained through diet.

The book focuses on the ReMag 50 000 ppm product but the information can also easily be applied to magnesium oil used transdermally and other forms of angstrom magnesium. The author recommends all of these products.

This book does to some extent fall into that problem that almost all books do when they are on the topic of one nutrient in that it seems this one nutrient is a magic bullet for everything. But being low in any vital nutrient will cause real problems and so in a sense every nutrient does everything. We need all of them in optimal amounts. So this is really just a book on magnesium and not a book on how to get well from illness or how to put together a comprehensive supplement regime or nutrient-dense diet. Both of thoese things are vital for real healing and health.

It should also be mentioned that making sure your vitamin D levels are optimal is essential for proper bone health. Of course calcium wont do this all my itself, but neither will magnesium. Vitamin D levels can and should be tested and making sure you have optimal amounts of the other minerals is also important.

This book lists case studies where fatigue, headaches or anxiety were cured just with magnesium supplementation. While of course it is true the lack of this one mineral can cause these symptoms, and they can resolve just with magnesium supplements there are also hundreds of other causes of these symptoms as well, and very often far more than one nutrient level will be low and will be a cause of symptoms. So it is not true to say magnesium is a cure for headaches or fatigue, only that it may be a cure for those conditions for some people. Magnesium is great and an important major mineral but it is one note in a symphony, not the entire song.

For more information on all the nutritional players and how to start real healing form serious illness I recommend books by Dr Sherry Rogers, Dr Abram Hoffer and others. Primal Body, Primal Mind is also a wonderful book on nutrient-dense nutrition and eating the foods that suit our genes and affect our genetic expression.

I was happy to be able to get a free copy of this eBook as although I get Dr Dean's (very good) regular free e-newsletter I appreciated having her latest recommendations and insights all in one place and in a format I could read on my (offline) tablet.

I was also happy to see that as I was writing this my first shipment of angstrom minerals has arrived in the post! I'm throwing out the calcium citrate tablets I was taking (at a low dose) today too. I'm now taking a small amount of angstrom calcium, angstrom or pico-ionic magsesium, and also some extra magnesium oil applied transdermally.

Magnesium is an essential part of my healing plan. You can feel the difference when you start taking it quite quickly. Taking the dose up very slowly is always a good idea though especially when you have low blood pressure or a slow heartrate (both seen in M.E.) or are very ill and suffer terribly with detoxification or healing reactions to things. Over time, when your magnesium levels have been fully topped up, you can go down to a lower maintenance dose too. The right dose is worked out through slow trial and error, and going on and off magnesium at differnet doses - using yourself as a test subject really!

Jodi Bassett, The Hummingbirds’ Foundation for M.E. (HFME) and Health, Healing & Hummingbirds (HHH)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read INVISIBLE MINERALS.

October 2, 2012 – Shelved