Christine's Reviews > Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life

Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott

bookshelves: read-in-2009, absolute-favorites-ever-read

This is required reading for any writer or anyone who wants to become a writer - not just for publication purposes but even just for your own private enjoyment - to write your memoir, your stories. I was sad when I finished it, because I knew that even if I read it again, nothing would be the same as the first time. Anne makes it sound like writing can be one of the most sacred gifts you can give someone. And after reading this, I believe it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bird by Bird.

Quotes Christine Liked

Anne Lamott
“Because this business of becoming conscious, of being a writer, is ultimately about asking yourself, How alive am I willing to be?”

Anne Lamott
“Perfectionism means that you try desperately not to leave so much mess to clean up. But clutter and mess show us that life is being lived. Clutter is wonderfully fertile ground - you can still discover new treasures under all those piles, clean things up, edit things out, fix things, get a grip. Tidiness suggests that something is as good as it's going to get. Tidiness makes me think of held breath, of suspended animation, while writing needs to breathe and move.”

Anne Lamott
“Perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor, the enemy of the people.”