Brandon's Reviews > The Stand: Captain Trips

The Stand by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

bookshelves: fiction, comix, after-the-end, 2012, uncle-stevie, marvel

The first five issues in Marvel's adaptation of Stephen King's famous novel The Stand, are contained within the first collection, Captain Trips. A virus is let loose from a top secret government facility causing people to exhibit symptoms in line with the flu. However, this strain is 100% fatal. Following the lives of a few select individuals who appear to be immune, King lays the groundwork for the ultimate battle between good and evil.

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa does a fine job adapting the source material. The story moves along well considering the length of book. It's been two years since I originally read it but I'm not really getting the feeling a whole lot is being left out.

The characters match up pretty well with how I envisioned them, which is always a nice touch when moving from a novel to a more visual medium. A lot of credit to Mike Perkins and Laura Martin for their excellent artwork which I really enjoyed.

I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of Trashcan Man the most so hopefully I can get my hands on Volume 2 a lot sooner than I hope.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stand.

October 2, 2012 – Started Reading
October 2, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012
October 2, 2012 – Shelved as: uncle-stevie
October 2, 2012 – Finished Reading
November 8, 2013 – Shelved as: marvel

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent Trashcan Man is awesome. Ever see the TV miniseries? Matt Frewer as the Trashcan Man is one of the few casting decisions I really liked.

Brandon Dan wrote: "Trashcan Man is awesome. Ever see the TV miniseries? Matt Frewer as the Trashcan Man is one of the few casting decisions I really liked."

I noticed it was on Netflix. I've been meaning to watch it. How is it overall?

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent Brandon wrote: "I noticed it was on Netflix. I've been meaning to watch it. How is it overall?"

I don't like a lot of the casting. Other than that, I guess it isn't bad. I've only watched it once.