Kelly's Reviews > Tales of the Madman Underground

Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes

When I finished this book and closed the cover, I felt like I was saying goodbye to a really good friend. Karl Shoemaker is the friend everyone should be lucky enough to have at least once in a lifetime. He's brave, sensitive, tough, hard, soft, gentle, firm, honest and kind. He's got a complicated life for sure and he does his best to be everything he can for everyone he loves. He attends in-school therapy with a bunch that call themselves the "Madmen Underground." He has a great bunch of quirky friends who all have hangups of their own. They've all had tough breaks in life which makes their stories fascinating and their friendship unbreakable. Karl would do anything for his friends ... even be "Sir Galahad" when he'd rather be losing his virginity. Karl's mother is pretty darn quirky herself. She's a cat-loving, alcoholic, UFO chasing nut job who steals from Karl...but she's his mother and he loves her.
Because Karl is the cool kid he is he has a great group of grownups that want to help him. His AA sponsor Dick, his "old" friend Mr. Browning, his teacher Coach Gratz and his mom's new friend Bill. You will love these guys and their goodness. I fell in love with each of these guys because they loved Karl and wanted the best for him. I was really worried about Karl at one point but I just wasn't giving him enough credit. He's a good kid with a good heart who just happens to have a crappy home life. He's also the epitome of 'when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.' Sometimes you just gotta' say "screw it" and move on. I wish I could've been as strong, brave and loyal as Karl when I was a teenager.
Give Karl a chance to enter your life. You won't regret it. In fact, you'll be really glad you did.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales of the Madman Underground.

September 28, 2012 – Started Reading