Valerie Ormond's Reviews > The Girl Who Remembered Horses

The Girl Who Remembered Horses by Linda  Benson

Oct 02, 2012

bookshelves: equestrian-fiction, horses, young-adult

Young Sahara lives at a time in the future when most of what we know as Earth has been destroyed. Her clan dismisses her dreams about horses as folly, but she can't help but follow her innate feelings about these mysterious creatures. Sahara feels compelled to save horses and show her people that horses serve a purpose among mankind.

I enjoyed Sahara's determination and also her moments of self-doubt. Benson creates wonderful characters such as the loving grandfather, the not-quite-boyfriend Evan, and the bossy,somewhat distant,older sister, Lauren. Descriptions of the post-apocalyptic world included discussions of computers, defunct libraries, and destroyed skyscrapers. I thought Benson did a fantastic job of setting the scene while not letting the scene take over the story.

As a reader, I couldn't help but be with Sahara the whole way and hope that she continued her quest to understand horses despite the obstacles. The Girl Who Remembered Horses evoked thought and stirred emotions. In summary, great characters, plot, setting, pacing, and story. This was the first Linda Benson novel I had read, and it definitely won't be my last.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Remembered Horses.