Scarlet's Reviews > Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson

it was ok
bookshelves: put-me-to-sleep

The good thing: Misleading blurb alert!! Ultraviolet is much more than a murder mystery.

The bad thing: It still bored me to death -_-

Before I justify my (unpopular) opinion, I have a confession to make. I was never really interested in Ultraviolet. Reading this book was an act of desperation. I badly needed a break from Picoult's super-sentimental preachings in The Storyteller and this was the only book on my Ipad that wasn't emotionally draining. So I guess this was doomed from the start.

---Some spoilers, nothing major---

Ultraviolet has a fabulous concept. The MC, Allison, has Synesthesia, which according to Wikipedia "is a neurological condition in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway."

o_O

In more understandable terms, all of Allison's senses are cross-wired.
As a result, our MC can:
- see/taste sounds
- feel/taste words
- see numbers as colors
- sense colors by touch
- taste feelings

She also has a condition called Tetrachromacy, which according to Wikipedia... no, forget it.

It basically means that Allison can see into the ultraviolet range so a lot of the colors she sees have no names. Yet.

Both disorders exist in reality. However, Allison's condition in the book is very, very exaggerated (like most things in YA). It's like super-synesthesia or something. She can even see heartbeats, taste the wind, hear stars, blah blah.

Here's what I don't understand:
How did she not end up in a psych ward sooner??

The kind of sensory overload this book describes.. it's too much. She lived like this for 16 years and nobody had a clue?? How did she not have a major mental breakdown as a child??

That's not the reason for my low rating, by the way. That's just a random question that popped up in my head.

My reasons are:

- Allison. She annoyed me. For someone with such gifted sensory perception, her narration felt painfully monotonous to me.

- The writing. Too simplistic.

- Nearly 80% of the story takes place in a psych ward, which is not a setting I like very much.

- The Ending. I mean, SERIOUSLY?? It was absolutely lame. It hit me like a paint-ball in the face - sudden, painful, unpleasant.
(view spoiler)

Sorry if this review is disjointed, I'm mentally exhausted.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ultraviolet.

October 2, 2012 – Shelved
June 25, 2013 – Started Reading
June 26, 2013 –
34.0% ""His hair was the color of a thunderstorm reflected in a mud puddle"\n \n Is that an actual color or something that only Allison can see??\n This whole color-sound thing is confusing :/"
June 27, 2013 –
61.0% "Absolutely bored -_-"
June 28, 2013 –
81.0% "Seriously? This is the 'BIG' explanation??\n How Dumb -_-"
June 28, 2013 – Shelved as: put-me-to-sleep
June 28, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by Basuhi (last edited Jun 28, 2013 10:17AM) (new)

Basuhi Aww..so that was bad.
Hope your next read's bright and better.

Scarlet Basuhi wrote: "Aww..so that was bad.
Hope your next read's bright and better."

Which is why I'm really looking forward to Jellicoe Road ;)

message 3: by Anushka (new)

Anushka Aw, man. This book was very highly recommended to me from a friend whose opinion I trust very much.
Hmmm..well, not interested anymore.

Scarlet Anushka wrote: "Aw, man. This book was very highly recommended to me from a friend whose opinion I trust very much.
Hmmm..well, not interested anymore."

You read the paragraph at the start, right? I was bored even before I started so my opinion is probably biased. You may like it. I personally think there are better sci-fi books out there.

message 5: by Anushka (new)

Anushka Yeah, I did but I trust your opinion more because I recently found out that she didn't like TFiOS and The Book Thief. The latter one being my favourite-book-of-all-time!

Scarlet Anushka wrote: "I recently found out that she didn't like TFiOS and The Book Thief. The latter one being my favourite-book-of-all-time!"

I love that book too.
Don't listen to her :/

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill hahahaha. This review was too funny. And so I wouldn't be tempted to test out myself whether it was a crappy book, I read your spoiler tag. Um. What? Sounds crazy!

Un-TBRed!

message 8: by Scarlet (last edited Jun 28, 2013 09:54PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Scarlet Jill wrote: "hahahaha. This review was too funny. And so I wouldn't be tempted to test out myself whether it was a crappy book, I read your spoiler tag. Um. What? Sounds crazy!

Un-TBRed!"

Lol, I put the spoiler tag there for people like you!
You want to know the funniest thing?
(view spoiler)

message 9: by Varsha (new) - added it

Varsha I have a friend who has synesthesia, and she visits the psychologist every week. She also used to take some pills in childhood. So I guess the MC here must be really weird then, if she hasn't visited the psychologist even once. :P

Btw, great review!

Scarlet Varsha wrote: "I have a friend who has synesthesia, and she visits the psychologist every week. She also used to take some pills in childhood. So I guess the MC here must be really weird then, if she hasn't visit..."

Woah. Seriously??
What kind of synesthesia does she have??
The girl in this book seems to have all kinds :/

message 11: by Merna (last edited Jun 29, 2013 07:18PM) (new)

Merna This part of the blurb makes me want to read it.

Once upon a time there was a girl who was special.
This is not her story.
Unless you count the part where I killed her.

Did this statement even have any relevance to the story?

message 12: by Varsha (new) - added it

Varsha Scarlet wrote: "Varsha wrote: "I have a friend who has synesthesia, and she visits the psychologist every week. She also used to take some pills in childhood. So I guess the MC here must be really weird then, if s..."

I don't know that. I didn't even know there were 'kinds' of synesthesia! Do you want me to ask her?

But she can't have all kinds-it is probably impossible. :(

And that ending-can you call that an ending? I'll remove this from my to-read list immediately. :D

Scarlet @Merna: That part caused Allison to have a nervous breakdown, which is how she wound up in the mental health institution. Other than that, it has nothing to do with Allison. The book starts as one thing but then it takes a turn and ends up as something very unexpected and ridiculous :/

@Varsha: Whatever kind she has, I'm sure she doesn't 'see' heartbeats, lol ;)
The starting was all right. Allison's condition and the mystery about Tori kept me interested. (view spoiler)

message 14: by Jessie (new) - added it

Jessie Lol that spoiler is so freaking ridiculous. WTF?!
Why is this book so popular then?

Scarlet Jessie wrote: "Lol that spoiler is so freaking ridiculous. WTF?!
Why is this book so popular then?"

:P
Maybe because this is the only YA book where the MC can say stuff like "his voice tasted like chocolate" and get away with it because she has synesthesia!!! Haha :D
I think I'll read the sequel, just to see where it goes or if it gets better.

message 16: by Jessie (new) - added it

Jessie Haha good luck with it then! Hope it gets better and not suck like The 5th wave! ;)