Jo's Reviews > The Pericles Commission

The Pericles Commission by Gary Corby

bookshelves: crime, historical-fiction

Is it historical fiction? Is it crime? Is it an old-school murder mysery? Who knows! Whatever it is, it's brilliantly done, stacked full of history, humour and hijinks galore.

When the body of Ephialtes, a Greek politician, falls from the sky and lands in front of the ambitious Nicolaos, he is thrust into the political arena whether he likes it or not. Mostly, he does. Except for all those times he's being attacked, beaten, and accused of various crimes. But that's politics for you.

To me, this read like a humorous and interesting murder mystery. It just happened to be set in Ancient Greece. The characters were well-rounded and felt authentic (even the strong female characters), the political situation was both alien and entirely too familiar, and the mystery itself was full of twists and turns that carried on all the way to the end.

I was dragged through the streets of ancient Athens along with Nico as he fought with his father, lectured his annoyingly thoughtful little brother Socrates, and investigated a crime no one really wanted solved. And I felt like I was in Ancient Greece. The setting was so well described, from the clothing and behaviour to the architecture and culture, that I forgot the setting should have felt alien and exotic.

The endgame, when it came, was satisfying and I eagerly await the opportunity to read more of Nico's adventures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pericles Commission.