Cara's Reviews > Princess of the Midnight Ball

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

Jan 09, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy, fairy-tales, awesome-covers, siblings
Recommended to Cara by: Ash

I couldn't fall asleep one night and without even realizing it I was so caught up and enchanted by the story it was six in the morning when I finished the book.

This is a retelling but I'm not familiar with the original tale, so I can't say how close it is to the original. It stands on it's own though and you don't need any prior knowledge of the story to enjoy it.

The story starts out with our hero Galen (great name by the way) coming back from a war that he and his fellow soldiers have been fighting in for twelve years. At eighteen he has seen more tragedy and bloodshed than most have in their lives. Despite and because of all this he is such a lovable character. I won't go into detail but eventually his path crosses with the beloved twelve princesses of Westfalin (what would be considered Germany today most probably).

There is a mystery surrounding the twelve princesses, for some reason their dancing slippers our all worn through every third night. No one sees where they go and can't seem to explain why this happens. The princesses: Rose, Lily, Jonquil, Hyacinth, Violet, Poppy, Daisy, Lilac, Iris, Orchid, Pansy, and Petunia (all named after flowers obviously) have to dance to serve a debt but they can't tell anybody.

I did have trouble keeping up with which sister was which, but other than that the story flowed well. My sister who recommended it to me said that the beginning was slow going to her, but I thought the story had enough going on to keep the reader engaged. I can't say how much I loved the Galen character (too bad he isn't real and in reality I don't think there could be, but a girl can dream...) This enchanting, romantic, adventurous tale of Rose and Galen is a must read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of the Midnight Ball.

January 9, 2009 – Shelved
September 18, 2010 – Shelved as: fairy-tales
December 1, 2010 – Shelved as: awesome-covers
April 6, 2011 – Shelved as: siblings

message 1: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa Ray That was good, except you spelled Galen wrong! It's not Gaylen! :)

Cara Whoopsie! Thanks for pointing it out Lexra. I guess for some reason I remembered it that way for some reason... Who knows what I was thinking;)

Lorli You totally took the words straight out of my mouth! I can't wait to read the rest of the series!

Cara I hope you enjoy the rest of the series Lorli!:)

message 5: by Avery (new) - added it

Avery I'm reading it, I'm at the beginning and it does seem a bit slow, where would you say it picks up? I might go crazy :)

Cara It has been awhile since I have read it so I can't say I really remember. But if the book isn't grabbing your interest you can always put it aside. I really did love it but you know not every book is for every person.

Amber Flynt It is Galen, you had it right the first time. ;)

Amber Flynt It is Galen, you had it right the first time. ;)

Amber Flynt Never mind! Sorry, I read a comment wrong!

Amber Flynt Never mind! Sorry, I read a comment wrong!

message 11: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars