Susan's Reviews > Special Forces - Veterans

Special Forces - Veterans by Aleksandr Voinov

Sep 30, 2012

Done. I feel like I ran a grueling marathon...and came in first place! That exhausted. That elated.

I will miss you Vadim and Dan. You’ve changed my life…seriously.

Sorry to friends and family and DVR who have gone neglected.
Sorry to Goodreads community for being such a basket case.
Sorry to books and ARC’s and Buddy Reads I passed over.
Sorry to the exclamation point for overusing you in every update, comment, and review.

The Review:

Veterans was the perfect ending to an amazing series. It felt like a salve, a balm, to roughened, raw, and damaged skin. It soothed all the parts that Soldiers and Mercenaries left damaged and scarred. And, again, in the end there was love. Love hard-earned - surviving Dan’s downward spiral, Vadim’s PTSD & therapy, a stalker, a pain-in-the-ass (I’m referring to Jean...ha!), additional sexcapades, children, old wounds, new wounds...

After 25 years, rape, torture, killing, war, injury, deception, lovers, manages, fights, and fisting…we finally get their Happily Ever After…till death do them part…

*sigh*

Thank you, Marquesate & Aleksandr "The Genius" Voinov for this masterpiece. I only wish that I had been one of the first to have read it so it wouldn't feel so "ordinary" and "expected" when I say how AMAZING Special Forces is and what a DEEP IMPACT it had on me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Special Forces - Veterans.

Quotes Susan Liked

Aleksandr Voinov
“You made me human. I stand by that. You made me into somebody I would have wanted to become, if I'd ever thought about what I wanted to be that wasn't about a record or power or a rank or some...delusion I was chasing. If all that was gone and stripped away, the man I am, I am because of what you did, what you made me feel all those years.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“Vadim smiled. “I’m not meeting him. We’ll be friends.”
Dan still didn’t say anything, just nodded, the smile still there, then turned and walked through the living room and onto the patio, all the way through the French windows. Looking out over the old orchard and the mountains when Vadim got to his side, reaching over to take Dan’s hand. Worth it. A thousand times. Any sacrifice, from the small ones to the big ones, and Dan turns his head, looking fully at him, while the smile grew. He didn’t need to say anything, didn’t have to voice the “I love you”. It was there, unsaid, yet outspoken.
Fourteen years, they didn’t come cheap.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“Never realized how much you might have been hurt, or worried...you know. Others. Until I found out how fucking painful it is to fear losing you.'

'I never wanted anybody else after I'd found you. After I understood what it is we have. Didn't want any other man.”
tags: vadim

Aleksandr Voinov
“It had all been a motherfucking nightmare and the solution was so simple, right there and under their noses. It had just been hidden: love. Fair and square. Just love.”

September 30, 2012 – Started Reading
September 30, 2012 – Shelved
September 30, 2012 –
11.0% "Life is good when it's just Vadim, Dan,and a fist."
October 1, 2012 – Finished Reading

Krissie Congratulations! Now you can take a much deserved breath :D

Ilhem Nothing ordinary there, Susan!
I think that the SF junkies were more than happy to succumb to the addiction again with you!

Stephanie SF was my first m/m read and it totally changed my life too. I loved reliving it with you. :)

Susan @Krissie, thanks! My next book has to be a very shallow fluff piece. ha!

@Ilhem, thanks for being there the whole way w/ me!

@Deirdre, could NOT have gotten through it w/o you. Seriously. ha!

@Stephanie, thanks! I can't believe it was your FIRST M/M read! Wow, you really jump into the deep end! :)

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin Muses Oh, Susan, I fell behind in the "buddy read" (um, yeah, I made it 81 pages :| ). Reading your reviews makes me nervous. I think this might be something that I read in very small doses over a long period. Maybe even 25 years - live it in real time. lol You know, to reduce the trauma.

Susan @Erin, it's because you're much wiser than I am! ha! I barreled through all the books back to back and almost died of a battered heart! But, so worth it! I can't wait till you finish. (I'll be in a retirement home, w/ no teeth, watching Price is Right all day by then, but still, I'll be there for you! ha!)