Melanie's Reviews > The Play of His Life

The Play of His Life by Amy Aislin

F 50x66

Another Terrific Hockey Romance , part of her great group of stories

Rating: 4.5 🌈

It’s play hockey time so I can’t get enough of my favorite sport, that includes reading about it in my romances.

Amy Aislin is in that top group of authors I recommend who write outstanding hockey romances. Her stories include both great characters but just as importantly the fact that this author loves and understands the game of hockey in all its aspects. And feeds the reader that love and knowledge through various threads of storylines and themes.

Also with Aislin (as with other authors of hockey romances) , her characters, couples and stories are written so they intertwine into a rich satisfying tapestry of hockey, romance, and HEA. People, couples, teams, the Toronto Trailblazers, Glenn Hill College Mountaineers (college team), Burlington, Vermont, Vancouver…. People, places, teams that weave together in book after book, a delightful rich and colorful ongoing flow of love that has never ceases to amaze me.

The Play of His Life is a perfect example of this. I even remember when Riley got hurt on the ice…. In another story. Then he was a solid member of the Trailblazers. Until his injury took him out of the sport he loved. We sort of wondered what happened to the likable Riley. But never found out.

Until now.

But here we delve into the complicated background and painful history of not just Riley but the man he left behind.

And the second chance at love they both get. Yes, one of my favorite tropes.

With a two person POV that I always find works so well, Aislin gives us the background of both men, all the way to kindergarten through all their formative years, to first love and then the issues that divided them and tore them apart for years.

It’s touching, moving, funny, frustrating, and , raw. I loved it, these men, and their journey back to each other and HEA.

Plus , yes we get to see so many ok’d friends as well, as usual.

The writing is so good I could free the biting cold coming off the lake, feel my hands freezing in the cold winds, and the absolute joy in a young boy hitting his first pucks. Magic.

Consider this and all the Amy Aislin stories highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Play of His Life.

Started Reading