Melanie's Reviews > More Than Life

More Than Life by Mary Calmes

F 50x66

liked it

Nice romance but story had issues

Rating: 3🌈

I truly love Mary Calmes and consider her books comfort reads. Whether it’s the latest in her Torus series or Frog, I have an understanding of what characters I might meet, no matter the situation, and the outcome of the passionate romance the main couple falls into. Doesn’t matter if they’ve just met or have known each other for years.

There’s a remarkable amount of comfort to be derived from this knowledge and yes, love for her guys. We know a Mary Calmes man when we read one.

They’re often too good for their own good and everyone (mostly) in the novels loves them. Myself included.

However in More Than Life the standard themes I’m used to doesn’t run so smoothly here. Or at all really in parts.

Looking at some of the elements with “criminal aspects “ especially, if the reader takes all the events as they occur and runs out all the ramifications to their logical ends, how they do end here and how they should end are volumes apart.

And that bothered me.

Yes the romance is how one would expect and I adore this part of the story. Morgan’s trauma from his time and abuse in prison is perhaps given too light a treatment but he’s going to therapy so ok great.

However, my biggest issues here is that ( spoilers) all those that acted criminally got off basically with no legal repercussions.

With physical assault and battery, especially an attack so vicious that it put its victim in the hospital for an extended stay, if the author writes such a huge element into their story and makes it a pivotal part of the main character’s story and history then there’s an equal responsibility to ensure that the person who inflicted that beating be held accountable. Indeed, as he is shown to be an even more morally bankrupt, devious person who’s likely to repeat his behavior of assault by his own words, for him to be totally let off without even a police report of any type filed against him and his father had me stunned.

But no , others who’s behavior was equally outrageous, murderous, criminal, heinous, or just plain whacked here were , narratively ,story wise , let off the hook, to go live their lives elsewhere as well.

For me this felt irresponsible for the sake of the one character of the main couple seemingly being seen as “great guy” about things. So chill and forgiving. Uh no.

Nope I call that being highly idiotic and masochistic and should all this be in RL, he surely would have been responsible for letting a predator get away without any records to follow him. Hart does not come off well in the good judgement department here. Morgan maybe, Hart…. Mary’s typical “golden boy”? No.

No this book has its own issues of judgement to solve.

Liked the romance though. Not sure it’s enough to overcome the other things I’d had problems with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read More Than Life.

Started Reading