Zoe's Reviews > Blink Once

Blink Once by Cylin Busby

Sep 29, 2012

Read in January, 2012

Poignant and unique, Blink Once is a beautiful novel that will have you smiling and sniffling at every page. When I received this book in the post, I started it immediately as I was so intrigued. It didn't disappoint, and I really enjoyed reading it.

This book is told through the eyes of West, a high school boy who has an accident on his bike and is paralysed. At the hospital, he meets Olivia who is also a patient. She comes into his room and talks to him, only communicating through "Blink once for no, blink twice for yes." I think that the whole premise of this novel is extremely original and I love the idea of a young romance where they are in both similar situations but West is unable to do anything apart from blink.

I can't write this review without mentioning how interesting it was reading from West's POV. Almost the whole novel is told by a boy who can not move or talk, restricted to his hospital bed. However, Busby seemed to carry out a fascinating tale without it getting dull.

Despite adoring the story and characters, I did find one fault. As I just mentioned, West is paralysed and is a character which is unable to interact with others apart from blinking. I found it interesting that Busby made this work. However, at the beginning, at a few chapters I began to get a bit annoyed by the routine of his life. Of course, being paralysed does not allow to do anything, but I felt that the layout of the chapter was getting a bit irritating. It was effective and gripping at first, but it started to get a bit repetitive for a short while. It started with an action-packed dream that lasted for a few seconds, and then he woke up and the nurses talked to him for a bit. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. I found this a bit tedious. However, just as I was getting bored, the novel picked up. The ending is .... wow, how do I explain the ending? MIND. BLOWING. Beautiful, morose and just... WOW. <3

I definitely recommend this to anyone and everyone. It will probably make you cry at the end, so be prepared. I blink twice for a sequel! ;) This is a story which haunted me for the rest of the day, and I am sure it will do the same to you too.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blink Once.