Charity's Reviews > Prep

Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld

Jan 08, 2009

Read in August, 2010

Again, I was shocked by the reviews after hopping on Goodreads. Only this time, I loved it and yet, there were so many haters. Can't a girl get a break? Am I forever doomed to be the outsider? Okay, a little overly dramatic, to be sure. There are MANY more who seemed to have enjoyed it than despised it, but the haters were hanging out at the top of the reviews, so that made it seem worse than the reality.

Yes, I loved Prep...shoot me. I always wanted to go to boarding school. I, in fact, used to fantasize about it on frequent basis. My parents would threaten me with sending me to boarding school when I didn't tow the line and I was always like, 'yes, please!' I should have known better. NEVER show enthusiasm for the "punishment"...a life lesson that I should have picked up from Brer Rabbit.

Well, unfortunately, I never got to go to prep school, but I still like to fantasize about it from time to time, and this book certainly fit the bill. Teen angst is nothing if not entertaining. As Stephen King said, "If you liked being a teenager, there's something really wrong with you." Totally.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prep.

08/13/2010 page 37
02/28/2016 marked as: read
show 9 hidden updates…

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen Glad to see you liked this one. I have read American Wife (Loved it!) and have been waiting to read this one.

Kirsty Ooh, I just bought this :) Glad to see you liked it!

message 3: by Charity (last edited Aug 17, 2010 01:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charity Yeah, I was really able to get into it. And was, in fact, quite surprised to see so many scathing reviews. Did we read the same book?

Kirsty LOL. Those are the best types of books though. I like to read books with mixed reviews to see which camp I fall into!

Charity I'm betting that you'll like it. :)

message 6: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress I know that feeling... I gave The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo one star. Talk about feeling like an outsider. :oD

Charity Yeah, after reading some sketch reviews of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by trusted sources (yours included), I don't think I'll be picking it up. Looks like a giant life-sucker and unfortunately, my reading list has been peppered with them lately, so I don't need more. :)

message 8: by Janna (new)

Janna W What does fish and cheese mean in the book? I was so very confused.

Maggie I totally agree-I LOVE this book so much, and I think it really captures the teenage girl's mind perfectly. I can relate so well to Lee! Beautifully written as well!

Paola Janna, when Lee asks Cross what that means she's asking what she tastes like (when he goes down on her). I'd never heard it in those terms either. Also loved this book. If anyone could recommend a "first year at university- crisis novel" i'd really appreciate it!

Majesty Zander My main issue with the book is not so much the teen angst as it is the lack of a solid plot. While the book's included summary tells you that something big is supposed to happen her senior year, it takes forever to get there. Even if I hadn't read the summary, there's still the problem that there's no substance in this work- the main plot to latch onto is maybe Lee making friends or Cross's relationship with her? Even that meanders and then pops back into play spontaneously. While life itself works out that way sometimes, it makes you wonder what exactly Mr. Sittenfield was doing when he wrote this... I think this novel would've been forgivable if Lee had looked a bit inward and tried to fix herself- she was almost like a white t-shirt letting anything and everything stain her as she went along.

Charity Curtis Sittenfeld is female.