~ Becs ~'s Reviews > Paradise Hops

Paradise Hops by Liz Crowe

Sep 29, 2012

bookshelves: arc, review-copy, abused-heroine, contemporary-romance, made-me-cry, tattooed-hero

I think it’s safe to say that this book broke my heart. It’s at once tragic and yet joyous with a plot that is a significant departure from standard contemporary romance.

This is the story of Lori (Lorelei) Brockton who is recovering from a brutal attack in her past. She’s been hiding away with PTSD for a two years but is now ready to emerge to run her family's famous brewery, working in every corner of Brockton Brewing Company, from warehouse to pub, front office to kitchen, to learn all she needs to know about the business.

Her father has hired a new business manager – Garrett Hunter. He’s tall, handsome, controlled, calm, collected, a neat freak, masculine perfection in a suit – in fact he’s everything that Lori needs to help her heal and move on from her past. Her father also hires a Master Brewer – Eli Buchanan. Eli is mad, bad and dangerous to know. He’s Garrett’s polar opposite – passionate, spontaneous, compelling, smoking hot, creative and utterly wrong for Lori but she can’t help but be insanely attracted to him.

Lori’s past casts a lengthy shadow over her life and panic hovers, ever on the horizon and she starts a relationship with Garrett who helps her to heal and he falls deeply in love with her but she can’t resist her visceral attraction to Eli and they also embark on a passionate affair. It would be easy to judge Lori harshly here, and I think I to a certain extent I did, but she’s faced with two men who, together, provide everything she could hope for – Garrett is caring, protective, loving, safe and Eli is spontaneous, passionate and she can hardly resist the temptation he poses and both men are aware of what is happening with the other. It’s incredibly tough for Lori to choose between them.

Just as you think you are cruising along nicely with the novel, maybe slightly questioning Lori’s choices and decisions, everything goes to hell in a handbasket. I read a lot of books and there’s very few that will make me gasp out loud and this one truly did. Liz Crowe ripped the rug out from under me when I was least expecting it and the direction of the novel changed completely and nothing would ever be the same again and I felt like I had been hit with a sledgehammer.

I’m not going to give away any plotlines, you’ll need to read it for yourself, but make sure you have a box of Kleenex on standby. Paradise Hops is not your average feel-good romance – it’s a story of flawed, realistic characters finding solace with one another. It’s tragic and yet hopeful and so wrought with emotion that I had a hard time putting it down. It has pervaded my thoughts in the 24 hours since I finished it and I confess to having trouble moving on. I definitely feel a book hangover looming! There’s a beautiful epilogue which gives the reader some much-needed closure and I can highly recommend this – it’s well written, with plenty of surprises and thoroughly engaging.

4 stars contemporary romance

ARC courtesy of Tri Destiny Publishing, with thanks

Paradise Hops will be released on October 15th and can be pre-ordered by clicking here

For more of my reviews, please visit my Sinfully Sexy Book Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paradise Hops.

September 29, 2012 – Shelved
September 29, 2012 – Shelved as: arc
September 29, 2012 – Shelved as: review-copy
October 2, 2012 – Started Reading
October 2, 2012 –
1.0% "Very much looking forward to getting into this one"
October 3, 2012 –
12.0% "Wow, so much raw emotion from Eli already. I have no idea where this novel is going to go but it's already compelling."
October 3, 2012 –
38.0% "Oh, Lori! What are you up to??"
October 4, 2012 – Finished Reading
October 5, 2012 – Shelved as: abused-heroine
October 5, 2012 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance
October 5, 2012 – Shelved as: made-me-cry
October 5, 2012 – Shelved as: tattooed-hero

Michelle [Helen Geek] This one looks really good.

~ Becs ~ It sure does :-)

Michelle [Helen Geek] Where did you get the ARC? I'd love to read it. I can wait too...

~ Becs ~ The publishers approached me through my blog - I don't think the synopsis gives much away. It feels like a present that I can't wait to unwrap!

Michelle [Helen Geek] I know. The blog we just started, we note we don't accept review requests, but we are rethinking. Our concern was to get locked into reading stuff we are not in the mood to read by publish date. I'm terrible about bouncing around depending on my mood. I don't want my reading to turn into too much of a college lit assignment. Takes the joy out of it and then I just won't do it. I had too many college assignments and once I completed my MBA I've resisted anything remotely resembling. I'm a real whuss.

~ Becs ~ This is very wise Michelle - I have been inundated lately and have had to decline some requests. I make it worse for myself by requesting at NetGalley too - I'm like a kid in a sweet shop.

Who are you blogging with and where's your blog? I'd love to take a look.

Michelle [Helen Geek] We use pseudo names. My blog partner goes by Hope. She is an editor for an author and would rather stay incognito. Me, I have a professional life and want to keep this separate. I'm Helen.

www.2GeekGirlsReviewBooks.com

Check us out. We thought it would be fun. The jury is still out, but we have come to like each other quite a great deal and this keeps us going. We try to keep it simple and not have it be work.

~ Becs ~ That's a lovely blog Michelle and I fully understand the needs to keep book reviewing separate from your professional life.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko This book sounds so good. I hope you are enjoying it.

Sara Oh I am reading this one soon. Your Jim Carey gif cracks me up every time!

~ Becs ~ You won't regret it Sara - it's got something really quite different going on there.

Sara Oh now you have me curious. I might start it sooner. Darn book ADD, gets me every time.

~ Becs ~ Ha ha - will write a review tonight. Have to go run around a hospital for the next 8 hours or so!!

Michelle [Helen Geek] Becs -- you liked it then? When is it being pub'd?

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Can't wait for your review. A 4 star rating has to mean you liked it!!

message 17: by Elizabeth (Liz) (new)

Elizabeth (Liz) Fantastic review, Becs!! I will *so* be reading this one! I love an emotional, angsty read:)

message 18: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Great review Becs! But not for me, I cannot do love triangles:)

message 19: by Monique (new)

Monique Excellent review Becs! Mmmm, a brewery! don't think I would mind that job myself!

~ Becs ~ Monique's Musings wrote: "Excellent review Becs! Mmmm, a brewery! don't think I would mind that job myself!"

Thanks sweety - have a mental image of you hiccuping drunkenly in the corner and not doing any work!!

Thanks Shelley x

Elizabeth wrote: "Fantastic review, Becs!! I will *so* be reading this one! I love an emotional, angsty read:)"

Thanks Elizabeth - it's definitely an emotional read.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) wrote: "Can't wait for your review. A 4 star rating has to mean you liked it!!"

I did - I loved it.

message 21: by Glamdring (new)

Glamdring Shelley wrote: "Great review Becs! But not for me, I cannot do love triangles:)"

Neither I. But great review, Becs!

message 22: by Monique (new)

Monique You know me so well!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko I have to know one of the guys doesn't die do they? Please spoiler me. In one of the books i read recently one of the guys in the love triangle died. I can't take that tragedy again.

message 24: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Lane Excellent review, Becs! This sounds like a story I'd enjoy.

Michelle [Helen Geek] I want this NOW!! Your review sold me babe!

~ Becs ~ Thanks everyone - hope you all enjoy. Jo Jo - my agreement with the publishers was 'absolutely no spoilers'. I have to respect that, sorry.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko No problem I totally understand.

Bookhooking (Tanya Childress) I am about half way through and am speechless at the moment!

~ Becs ~ I know exactly where you're at Tanya.

Bookhooking (Tanya Childress) Becs please help I feel like I have lost my mind...is she dreaming?

~ Becs ~ Yes Tanya - there is a real WTF chapter but stick with it and remember she has just had a head injury.

Bookhooking (Tanya Childress) ok thank you....now I am at the part where I am just devastated :( I didn't want to stop reading but I was not feeling good and so tired. I hope to finish it tonight. I am not a fast reader and I wanna be lol too many books on the tbr pile!!

~ Becs ~ I know - I feel your pain. This book broke my heart.

Bookhooking (Tanya Childress) I have mixed feelings guess I will see how it all ends. thanks Becs:0)

message 35: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris Your review is dead on to how I felt reading this book. The emotions were so strong and this story stayed with me for a long time after reading it. It has been awhile since I read it and I can still feel those emotions thinking about it. I definitely cried. I really wanted a different outcome so I was heartbroken! But the epilogue was very beautiful.