Melanie's Reviews > Risking the Shot

Risking the Shot by Amy Aislin

F 50x66

Love the characters, love the romance, love the series

Rating: 4.5 🌈

It’s officially hockey season again and I’d thought I’d celebrate by reviewing a hockey romance by a favorite author who loves this sport and it’s athletes as much as I do.

This sport seems to attract wonderful writers who are just as obsessed by its fast paced athleticism and unbelievable drama on ice as it’s gorgeous international teams of talented, intense athletes.

Lucky us, the readers!

Risking the Shot is the fourth story in Aislin’s Side Stick series, a fantastic group of hockey romances if you aren’t familiar with it yet. Mostly centered around a certain group of LGBTG players in various stages of coming out, finding love, and what the ramifications are for their careers in the NHL, it’s a great and varied journey.

Taylor “Tay” Cunningham, a forward for Toronto is bisexual and at ease with his sexuality. However, he’s ready to come to come out to the public,tired of hiding his truth. It’s a matter of timing. There’s his team’s run for the playoffs, his college courses, and then the new guy he’s seriously crushing on, the single dad from the Foundation.
Tay is such a likable, well rounded character. Easy to picture, so relatable and adorable. The issues he has that become clear? They are ones people see in other families and can connect to.

The man he’s crushing on? Single dad and part-time baker Dakota Cotton, brother to another NHL player in Burlington ( we will see him later). Dakota comes with a realistic and absolutely adorable 4 year old boy, Andy.

The relationship and work the men do on themselves, the trust issues, communication channels, goals for themselves and as a couple… we watch it all get worked through with so much love and care. With a great amount of very hot sex thrown in. Fans self. Plus the added joy of a growing family dynamics with Andy who has his own abandonment issues because of his mother.

I love this little family group so much.

The wonderful addition of the quirky, fascinating characters flowing around them is just that depth of storytelling that gives this series that spice and oomph to make it stand out.

I’m really not ready for book 5 to roll out, not if it means an end to another hockey series. Sigh. I mean the season just got started.

Yes I’m highly recommending this and the series. Start reading in the order they are written. And enjoy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Risking the Shot.

Started Reading