Marianne's Reviews > Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination

Aug 07, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: suspense, chicklit, mystery
Read in June, 2004

This is not a great book, but it's not a bad book either. I guess I just don't understand some other reviewers' vitriol. Sure, Helen Fielding could have developed characters with more depth; and she could have chosen to flesh out a more plausible plot. But I don't believe that is what she set out to do. Rather, this book seems a clear attempt to overlap the "chick lit" genre into a realm where it doesn't go as often as it could: mystery/suspense thrillers. I've heard comparisons drawn between Olivia and Stephanie Plum - which I can see, though the early Stephanie Plum stories were more overtly hilarious than this book - and maybe that's why I didn't hate this novel. Despite the fact that Janet Evanovich's "Stephanie" series has, at times, shown signs of fatigue, I have generally loved Miss Plum and her (mis)adventures.

That said, I really think Helen Fielding needs to listen more closely to the Americans among whom she now lives, as few of her American characters consistently speak as Americans actually do; they read like Brits trying to sound American. I had more problems with this than with the other aspects.

By the way, I loved Bridget Jones too, but not every Helen Fielding book is going to be just like BJ. And that's as it should be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination.