preppea's Reviews > Crow's Row

Crow's Row by Julie Hockley

Sep 28, 2012

bookshelves: romance, contemporary, character-college-aged, favorite-dark-reads, kidnap, zz-reviewed, zz-i-love-this
Read 2 times. Last read September 28, 2012 to September 30, 2012.

How have I survived this long without reading Crow's Row? Okay, so I'm being a tad melodramatic but I just LOVED this book! I mean, can't put it down - can't breathe - don't want to talk to anyone until I'm finished - LOVED this book! The storyline (a girl witnesses a murder and is kidnapped by the drug lord who commited the murder, only to find herself falling in love with her kidnapper) immediately made me feel like I was naughty for wanting to read it - but I just HAD to - and immediately! From the second I started Crow's Row, I was not disappointed!

Emily has gone to great lengths to live without the help of her parents money and their subsequent control, but after losing her brother to an overdose she feels completely alone. Cameron grew up with an alcoholic for a mother and a con-artist for a father and has taken every measure to be able to provide for himself so he never has to depend on anyone but himself. The two have a lot more in common than you'd originally think and their slow discovery of each other allows for fully developed characters and a love story you can't help but root for. The author doesn't sugarcoat Cameron's business as a drug lord nor is their love a case of Stockholms, it is a well-fleshed out story of two people who have only been able to rely on themselves finding a common bond within each other.

The story isn't just about their relationship by any means; as you'd expect with drugs and gangs there are attempts to overthrow the leader, quiet the witness, and a lot more that I won't tell you because it'd spoil too much. Leave it to say its a story you won't be unable to put down until the final devastating page. I hear the author is working on a sequel and I will be banging down her door to get my hands on it!!! My life is not complete without finding out how the story continues!!!

P.S. Julie Hockley, I love how you started and ended the story in a different voice - it really added to the story and gave some much appreciated insight! I had to go back and re-read Cameron's first chapter just to fully appreciate what was happening!

**Reviewed by preppea on I ♥ Bookie Nookie Reviews

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crow's Row.

message 1: by preppea (new) - added it

preppea I'm reading this again for a refresher before I start the highly anticipated Scare Crow! 4/10/14

message 2: by preppea (new) - added it

preppea Yup - still loved it! Starting Scare Crow now!