Jaclyn's Reviews > Revelations

F 50x66
Jan 08, 2009

liked it
Read in November, 2008

The enticing horrific romantic novel I chose to read for my book report was Revelations, written by Melissa De La Cruz. I chose this book because the back cover story was intriguing. Also, I enjoy reading books about teenagers, because it gives the appeal of having a different life. This novel is set in modern day New York. The characters consist of the wealthiest people in New York. However, they are not people entirely, they are Blue Bloods. This means that they are part of a secret society of vampires who actually have vampire blood injected into them when they are younger to carry on the spirit. In this novel, the main character, Schuyler ends up havening to live wither a somewhat adoptive family. One of the most sacred traditions of being a Blue Blood is the “bond.” This refers to the bond between a vampire and his or her soul mate. Unfortunately, Schuyler does not have a soul mate because she contains only half vampire blood; causing distraught to the few people who find out, she begins to fall in love with another vampire, who just happens to be part of her adoptive family. This vampire’s sister just ended up being the one that he is “bonded” to, meaning that if he does not have a bonding ceremony with her, he will never receive his full powers and will go into a coma.

The main character, Schuyler is definitely unique among the others. She is always wearing black baggy clothing, but in her high society community. Schuyler, Sky for short, is described as impeccably beautiful with a lean body. She even receives job offers for modeling. One of her best friends is also a Blue Blood, but Sky does not entirely fit in with the rest of the vampire community. This then ties into the main conflicts which are man vs. society and man vs. man. Also, the theme of the novel is that sometimes the best things in life are forbidden, but one should attempt to accomplish this regardless.

The author, De La Cruz, did not use many literary devices in the novel. The only type of symbol that she did end up using was a literal symbol. For example, there is a mark on the back of a vampire’s neck which is a symbol of his or her pureness. She does throw in some similes and personification, but it is extremely subtle. Her writing style contains a sophisticated teenage outlook on the events happening. Unfortunately, her writing does get a little messy and confusing through out the story.

I would recommend this story to teenagers who are interested in love, fashion, and vampire stories. When I was reading, I was not able to put down the book until about two – thirty in the morning. On the contrary, I do not believe, that many boys would enjoy this novel because of the fact that the author includes parts about famous designers and fashion. This book is basically Gossip Girl with a little blood and more danger involved, enjoy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revelations.