Brian's Reviews > The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

M 50x66
Jan 08, 2009

liked it

Pleasant and somewhat interesting, but not compelling.

It's my impression that mystery novels are part puzzle and part vehicle for depicting a cross-section of life in some locale. The puzzle part in No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency was never very elaborate. Most mysteries arose and resolved in the span of one chapter. In fact it seemed like the point was to showcase Precious' subtle knack for zeroing in and keeping things from being more complex than they need to be. Precious and her approach to sleuthing were charming and pleasant, but not page-turning for me.

The slice of life aspect was interesting because I know almost nothing about Botswana. I got a sense of the landscape, the pace of life, the economy, and the culture.

I might pick up another book in this series one day, but I'm not making it a priority right now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.

January 8, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
March 27, 2009 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I like your description of mysteries as part puzzle and part vehicle for depicting a cross-section of life in some locale---try "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" and your locale will be Sweden!

Wouldn't you know that I just bought a copy of this book hours before I saw your review--should've just used the library!

Shelia Wilkinson I have loved every book in this series and feel connected to every character.

Caitlin I agree. I was able to finish this book, but only because I kept it in my bathroom.