Melanie's Reviews > Firefly Lane

Firefly Lane by Riley Hart

F 50x66

Great Start to a new series, love it, great characters and romance

Rating 4.5 🌈

Recently I’ve been reading books with older characters, in their 40’s and one aspect I’ve appreciated about these stories from various authors is the open and adult communication that flows between most of these characters.

Firefly Lane is a great example of this level of open communication. It exists not just among the primary characters but also throughout the community of the town of Harmony, whether it’s blunt questions or advice. It’s still on the open adult communication scale .

Hart’s themes for this story run the gamut from the ability to grow and change one’s outlook, no matter your age to the notion that finding your true home has no timetable. Even such basics as you aren’t your parents. There’s a multitude of storylines here. All unpacked with care and intelligence.

At the heart of the is not a couple of men but more a intersecting triangles of families, all of equal importance to this story and beautifully crafted.

The first family that launches the novel and action is that of two siblings. Holden Barnett, pilot out of Atlanta, and his estranged younger sister, Marilee Young, and her teenage son Sean. The sister and son in dire need, living in Harmony, NC.

The second family, one that’s deeply established and well liked in town is that of Monroe “Roe” Covington of the huge Covington family, his teenage son Wyatt who he had with his best friend Lindsey. Roe is out gay man to all around him and has been since his teenage years, although his closeness to Lindsey has people thinking , wrongly, they still might get together.

The foundation Hart starts to lay down here for the series is solid. We feel a warm, layered community, full of interesting people, some busybodies, many far more intriguing and caring.

And as we see our way around Harmony and get to know the citizens, the past histories and real issues are coming to the surface within the two families.

It’s never just problems with Holden and Marilee and Sean. Because their heavy issues impact Roe, Wyatt, and Lindsey. All as parents/uncles weighing what effect their adult relationships will have on their sons as well as their sons/nephews relationships. Yes, people actually acting as responsible adults. Love it.

All the while, keeping the romance sexy, endearing, and vulnerable.

There’s also a back history of parental abuse ( mentioned never seen) with Holden and Marilee’s folks as well as Sean’s father Adam, Marilee’s absent husband. That plays into much of the story here, and finally figures into the personal growth.

I found this to be a terrific story. So many layers, great characters and foundation Town to get acquainted with.

I can’t wait to the next in the series and eagerly look forward to seeing all these people and couples once more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firefly Lane.

Started Reading