Marla's Reviews > Susannah's Garden

Susannah's Garden by Debbie Macomber

it was ok
bookshelves: romance, chick-lit, series, adult, zz-2017, audiobook, mystery, barely-finished, overrated

1 star for the first half of the book and 3.5 stars for the end. The 3 main characters are: Susannah, a 50 year old, disgruntled 5th grade teacher who doesn't appreciate her husband or her life; Vivian, Susannah's mother is depressed after her husband's death and she is having memory episodes and she is angry about moving into an assisted living facility; and Chrissie, a VERY immature, lazy, spoiled and whiny 20 year old. (I have 2 daughters Chrissie's age and I would be mortified to be Chrissie's mother, and then I would slap her into shape. Chrissie's only redeeming quality was her devotion to her grandmother.)

The characters weren't likeable. This story takes place in Corville, where Susannah grew up and there is only a fleeting mention of Blossom Street at the end of the book. There are a ton of disagreements and unhappiness in this book. If I were a DNFer, I would've quit (view spoiler) and missed the nice twist of events at the end of the book. The end didn't make up for the angst at the beginning, but at least it wasn't a complete waste of time.

I was expecting a quick, light story with hopefully a bit of romance and I was disappointed. The best part of this book is (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Susannah's Garden.

September 27, 2012 – Shelved