Mike's Reviews > Hounded

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

1940138

bookshelves: fantasy, print, owned, series
Recommended to Mike by: Patrick
Recommended for: Urban fantasy fans, Jim Butcher fans

I first heard of Hounded when I came across Patrick Rothfuss' glowing review. After reading Pat's endorsement, I went to add the book to my "to read" list and I noticed that Goodreads was giving away 50 copies so I put my name on the list and, to my surprise and delight, I won one.

Although my book list was already way too long and there were neglected books sitting on my shelf, I was too excited by the prospect of winning not to bump Hounded to the front of the list. I'm really glad that I did too, because I really enjoyed this novel.

The protagonist, Atticus O'Sullivan, is a 2,000 year Druid living in modern day Arizona. Over the course of the centuries, his wit, intelligence, and magical abilities have kept him alive when all other Druids have died out. He tries to keep a low profile, but he's made enemies over the years and, in the first novel of the Iron Druid Chronicles, those enemies come calling.

The novel was really a lot of fun. The pacing was great, literally never a dull moment. Okay, so this isn't the type of novel that requires a lot of deep thought, but it does have a lot of cool magic and great action scenes. It also has a lot of interesting characters that includes gods, witches, bartenders, and, yes, a dog.

If you've read Jim Butcher's Dresden Files novels like me, then you'll be tempted to compare the too. Really, there are a lot of similarities, but there are a lot of differences too, more than enough for the series to have a unique and satisfying feel.

I will, without question, continue reading this series. It's just too much fun not to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hounded.

September 27, 2012 – Shelved