Geoff's Reviews > David Copperfield

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

Read the majority of this over the course of 4 days snowed in under 2 or so feet of blizzard and its dimming snowlight day's circular repetition, in a new house, often in near silence only punctuated by winter robins chirping outside, in between making pots of coffee and organizing my books and music and furniture. I can think of few more delightful states in which to absorb this classic Bildungsroman, which appears to be one of that genre of book called Perfect Novel. Shall I read more Dickens? I shall read them all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read David Copperfield.

September 27, 2012 – Shelved
January 13, 2016 – Started Reading
January 13, 2016 –
page 60
6.16% "Who woulda thought a guy named Murdstone would turn out to be a dick?"
January 13, 2016 –
page 66
6.78% ""From that blessed little room, Roderick Random, Peregrine Pickle, Humphrey Clinker, Tom Jones, The Vicar of Wakefield, Don Quixote, Gil Blas, and Robinson Crusoe came out, a glorious host, to keep me company. They kept alive my fancy, and my hope of something beyond that place and time- they, and the Arabian Nights, and the Tales of Genii""
January 14, 2016 –
page 102
10.47% "So, Pynchon's penchant for absurdist names - that comes straight outta Dickens, yes?"
January 14, 2016 –
page 111
11.4% "Something else this book is reminding me of, in an offhand way - Barbara Wright's translations of Queneau."
January 19, 2016 –
page 226
23.2% "I adore this. Is all Dickens this charming? I'm so charmed."
January 26, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

message 1: by Daniele (new) - added it

Daniele It's his most autobiographic novel

Kalliope You could have also read what I am reading now, even if here we are having a warmer winter than usual....

Moby-Dick; or, The Whale.. for your storm is called 'Jonas'.....

Geoff Heh people have been making Weezer jokes about the Jonas thing, but since I pretty much loathe Weezer I don't appreciate them. Moby-Dick though? That's one of the all-time greats!

Geoff Daniele wrote: "It's his most autobiographic novel"

This I have heard. I'm pretty much stoked to set out reading his oeuvre.

Kalliope Chapter 9 - The Sermon on Jonas.

Geoff Kalliope wrote: "Chapter 9 - The Sermon on Jonas."

It was a great white whale of a storm, for sure

Glenn Sumi Loved this book as a teen. Thanks for reminding me of it. I'm due for a reread.

Geoff It's definitely something worth revisiting throughout one's lifetime - it's pretty much the perfect book about growing up

message 9: by Ronald (new) - added it

Ronald Morton I need to read all the Dickens as well - I loved DC when I read it in college. Somehow I've never read anything else, even though "Bleak House" is a book I commit (and ultimately fail) to read every single year.

Geoff Check out MJ's Dickens reviews if you want to get stoked on which ones to read...

Matthias Excellent reading circumstances for an excellent book!
Somehow to me, Dickens is more of a winter-author, even without taking into account his relation to Christmas. Picturing myself reading him on the beach somehow doesn't evoke the same emotions as your heartfelt review does.

Geoff For sure - nothing like a good long book for winter solitude.

message 13: by Gary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary Dickens for the old happy ending every time! Utterly unforgettable characters. Spiritual grandfather of JK Rowling.

message 14: by Ronald (new) - added it

Ronald Morton Geoff wrote: "Check out MJ's Dickens reviews if you want to get stoked on which ones to read..."

Cool; done. There is a lot of Dickens I need to read apparently.

message 15: by Todd (new) - rated it 5 stars

Todd Sir, a humble suggestion. Read Great Expectations and follow it up with Peter Carey's novel Jack Maggs. One of my finest reading experiences of recent memory.

Geoff A recommendation from Todd?? What a rare gift... Of course I'll take you up on that. Hope everything is well with you and the snow gave you ample time for reading...

message 17: by Todd (new) - rated it 5 stars

Todd I'd actually been thinking for the past two or three months that I should reread David Copperfield (for the third time). Probably my favorite Dickens novel, named a dog after Barkus once, though I misremembered and named him Barkley, not Barkus. "Barkus is willing!"

Geoff I'm going for Great Expectations, Nicholas Nickleby, or Martin Chuzzlewit next - because that name! Martin Chuzzlewit!

Marie My favorite, if there can be such a thing, is Our Mutual Friend. I'm always happy to come back to Dickens.