Angela Risner's Reviews > My Mother Was Nuts

My Mother Was Nuts by Penny Marshall

Sep 26, 2012

liked it

I loved Laverne & Shirley. When my friend Heather and I would play that we were Laverne and Shirley, we fought over who would play what. Of course, Shirley was the coveted role at the time - she was all girlie and chaste and prim. But I would have to say that Laverne is much more my style now.

Penny Marshall writes in a very easy-to-read, conversational style. I enjoyed that she shared a good deal of her childhood, especially the difficulties in her parents' marriage, her mother's lack of interest in her, and her relationship with her elder siblings.

I was surprised to learn that Penny had done drugs. I understand that it was a huge part of the culture in which she came to Hollywood, and I don't think people quite understood the damage that LSD and other drugs could do at that time. I never knew that she was involved with Art Garfunkel until this book. I also didn't know that she was married to anyone but Rob Reiner - and I thought her child was his, not her first husband's.

I was disappointed that there was not more behind-the-scenes stories and information on Laverne & Shirley. That was a large part of her life and she really doesn't go into as much as I'd hoped. I did think that she gave a great background to the movies she has directed, including her relationships with the stars of those movies.

Overall, it's a bit fluffy and not quite as deep as I'd hoped, but it was entertaining and funny.

Recommend if you're a fan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Mother Was Nuts.

Finished Reading