Tom's Reviews > A Random Walk Down Wall Street: The Time-Tested Strategy for Successful Investing

A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton G. Malkiel

Jan 07, 2009

Read in January, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This is a great read that explains all of the core concepts related to Wall Street and financial investment, and takes the time to explain the historical significance of them as well. Malkiel discusses valuation (firm foundation vs. castle in the air), technical (charting) and fundamental analysis on his way to modern portfolio theory and behavioral finance. He stops to debunk theories that would deny the efficient-market theory, and then launches into some great practical advice for the investor.

Besides strongly encouraging investing in index funds as a way to minimize risk, he suggests looking into closed-end funds when offered at a large enough discount from the net asset value. A guide to mutual funds and a primer on derivatives round out the book.

If you didn't understand some of the above, you should definitely read the book, as I didn't understand a good deal of it before I started. I highly recommend this to all new investors as a solid, no frills investment tutorial.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Random Walk Down Wall Street.

05/15/2016 marked as: read