LJ's Reviews > Impulse

Impulse by Frederick Ramsay

Jan 07, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: amateur_sleuth, contemporary_post_1945, arizona, male_author, maryland, mystery
Read in December, 2008

IMPULSE (Trad. Mys/Ama. Sleuth-Frank Smith-Maryland/Arizona-Cont) – G+
Ramsay, Frederick – 3rd book
Poisoned Penn Press, 2006, US Hardcover – ISBN: 1590582837

First Sentence: Frank Smith stepped to one side at the top of the escalator.

Four years’ ago, the wife of Arizona mystery author Frank Smith went for a walk and disappeared leaving Frank the number one suspect.

Frank’s father had been a teacher and Frank a resident student at Scott Academy in Maryland. He has never been back but decides to return for his 50th class reunion. Because it is assumed Frank is wealth, he is targeted by the fun raising chairman for a large donation.

Instead he accepts a challenge to solve the mystery of four boys who went into the school’s woods 25 years ago and were never seen again.

It is rather refreshing to have protagonists who are 60+ and more cerebral than daring. Frank Smith and his friend Rosemary are wonderful characters who enable the author a platform on which to talk about aging and our perceptions of older; i.e., experienced, adults but without being preachy about it.

I particularly enjoyed Rosemary’s conversations with her inner self. Frank’s daughter was realistically portrayed, if a bit annoying and spoke to children’s often unrealistic view of their parent’s financial status while treating them as children. As for the other characters, they were a lot of them; they were stereotypical.

The book is well written and plot interesting. The POV changed frequently which did cause come confusion. While I enjoyed the book, I kept thinking my mother would love it as there is no violence, sex or profanity.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Impulse.