Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente

bookshelves: read2012, sci-fi-fantasy, ya

This comes out on Tuesday, and if you have not yet read Fairyland #1 (The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making), you definitely should. You may also zip over to Tor.com where they have the first five chapters up for free (of this volume). Check out the illustrations too, as I really love the art in this book.

While not quite my favorite Valente (that will always be Palimpsest), I think the Fairyland books are probably going to be what most people will love the most of her work. They demonstrate the author's ability to look at something familiar and find beauty and the bizarre in it, and to see it from a different angle. The world feels fresh despite some moments of homage, and I enjoyed this second trip back to Fairyland with September.

One moment I loved that explains why I love Valente - the periodic table of teatime. Another memorable moment is the onion dance, so much more wonderful than you could imagine.

Of course, like most trips back to a place we loved as children, not everything goes as easily, and September has been growing up in her real life too. There is an underlying question of whether or not she will forget Fairyland, if she can keep returning, and if she even fits in. The shadow of her Wyverary answers this question (view spoiler)

One little bit I just liked in general comes from a Minotaur character:
"The ancient world was an appalling place. Even if it were not, love may unclose itself between any seemingly upside-down and turned-around folk. Especially if one is a Fairy Bull who can talk and write poems and have tea and discourse on natural philosophy."

I think you can see why I'd rather live in Valente's universes than anywhere else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There.

September 26, 2012 – Started Reading
September 26, 2012 – Shelved
September 27, 2012 –
page 56
September 30, 2012 – Shelved as: ya
September 30, 2012 – Shelved as: read2012
September 30, 2012 – Shelved as: sci-fi-fantasy
September 30, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Catie I've heard (although now I don't remember where) that there are going to be FIVE books! Yay!

message 2: by Ed (last edited Oct 01, 2012 10:34PM) (new) - added it

Ed I have to think that these books are at least inspired by Jean Ingelow's Mopsa the Fairy (1869). It's about the adventures of a boy in Fairy, and the tone seems to be the same as well. It's something of a forgotten gem, but I think it's fairly well known in literary circles. I've heard the claim that it may have been one of L. Frank Baum's influences. Anyway, I'd be shocked if Valente wasn't aware of it. If you like these books, you might want to take a look at Mopsa the Fairy.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Ed wrote: "I have to think that these books are at least inspired by Jean Ingelow's Mopsa the Fairy (1869). It's about the adventures of a boy in Fairy, and the tone seems to be the same as well. It's somethi..."
Thanks Ed. I feel like the Oz influence is easy to see, so that makes sense. Valente always is drenched in mythology that I don't always know about, so I imagine she would know about Mopsa too. (I will track it down!)

message 4: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome Cat's Big Idea entry on Scalzi: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/10/02...

Charles I will always and forever love Palimpsest too. By far my most treasured possession. Fariyland is awesome and lovely and I can't wait for more but going back to its roots, which is Palimpsest, ahhh, I just can't even explain how much I love that book.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Charles wrote: "I will always and forever love Palimpsest too. By far my most treasured possession. Fariyland is awesome and lovely and I can't wait for more but going back to its roots, which is Palimpsest, ahhh,..."
I feel the same way, entirely.